Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 11-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Nikinoo is on a distinguished road

I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels like this. I have been thrown in deep end and doing level 3, havent done any levels before so am finding it all daunting, didnt have an assessor in sept when it started as they didnt have one to cover my area at time so was given some work to start with, ie write about pattern of development. I kept putting off as didnt know where to start. Finally met assessor last month, and she said that can be done whenever as long as done by time i finish nvq, dont know if thats a relief or not haha. Have 1st observation tomorrow and am very nervous about it.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-09-2009, 11:04 PM

daisypops is on a distinguished road
Soapbox assessors!

Ha ha Tutu and Pipsqueak, agree with you about assessors relying on paper evidence - but that doesnt mean you can do a good job does it? I know girls whizz through their NVQ but havent got the first clue about being 'child' or 'people' friendly! I know that I do a great job, very hands on and practical, its wording everything right that takes up the time. I have had to answer EVERY knowledge question, had a few direct obs and written evidence. Funding restrictions apply to my assessor as she has had her hours almost halved. Been in child care for a very long time, so when I get my NVQ3 I will be so happy as this bit of paper means that I can do my job properly ha ha.... :soapbox:
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Hi daisypops

You are so right ... only working practice proves you can do the job! That's why tutu & I said direct observations are such an important part of the assessors job. I am hearing more & more about assessors hours being cut. Could you and anyone else reading this post help assessors to help you .. the candidates. When you are given evaluations to complete about your course programmes, complain or make comments about the lack of assessor hours.

Once you have that piece of paper your previous work will be recognised and will put your foot in the door for any future jobs you apply for - so it will be worth it! Believe me from one child care practitioner who found this to be so.

All the best

P
Unread 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

tjones is on a distinguished road
Default k3c180 k3c181 k3p182

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell View Post
hi all i started in april done nearly 6 units now 3 to go finding it easy now but it was hard at first once you get the hang of it its ok good luck
hello any tips on these 3 to get me up and running, thanks im hitting a brick wall 1st morning off and achieved diddly squatt..........
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:32 PM

karen08 is on a distinguished road

hi im on unit 304 and yes its harder than i thought,as i dint do my nvq2 went straight to nvq3 good luck xx
Unread 12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

wendy1978 is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome. once you get going you'll find your mojo with it i leave myself 2 evenings a week to do it. i started in febuary and have done 3 units!!!!! almost 4 so its not too bad.
Unread 12-06-2009, 09:28 PM

WendyW is on a distinguished road

Hi, I remember feeling exactly the same when I started mine. I was given the unit, had a brief explanation of how to do it, then was left alone with it. I just didn't have a clue where to start and what was expected of me. I worked with a girl who had completed 1 unit, so she let me have a look at her file, not to copy, but just to see how to go about it, how to lay it out, how she approached the unit etc. Once I had seen how someone else approached it, I just seemed to sink in and I immediately understood what to do.

I have a new assessor now, and when I open a unit, she spends a full session just observing me and she cross references what she has observed me doing. From there i can see what is left for me to work on.

I work in a room with another keyworker and she provides me with witness statements that I cross reference as much as I can. I put in as much work samples/evidence as I can - these may be policies, photographs, etc. I write up reflective accounts which also covers a lot. But the most of my file is made up of other peoples writing (I mean direct observations by my assessor and witness statements and work samples), there is very little writing from me. I cross reference a lot of the knowledge to the performance criteria and the more you get into it, the more confident you will be to do this.

I have a good assessor, and she does not want to see lots of writing from me or questions and answers. Thats why she observes as much as she can. I may write 1 or 2 questions and answers, but that is if I can't prove them in any other way.

Once your first unit is out of the way and signed off - you will know what to do with the other units and you will find it easier. You will receive feedback from whoever signs your unit off and this will give you direction for your future units.

Also remember that some units cross reference too, so it makes sense that if you have a mandatory unit open, have a look if any of the optional units cross reference to it. I opened 303 with 309 and 310 as they linked in with each other. Now I have 345 and 346open together (numeracy and literacy).

Good luck x
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kam is on a distinguished road

i started my STLS NVQ lev 3 back in June 09, it is daunting to start - it does get easier and ur assessor shud be about to help quash those fears! i was hoping silkysteps wud be able to help, but u all seem to be doing something different to me! i'm sure like you i was just as nervous, but do feel beta now. we're expected to finish ours 5 mnths early, which is gr8 goin. good lick and hope it goes well.
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Angel 24 is on a distinguished road

welcome, you will get lots of help on here everyone is grt
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

twinthing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
i am baffled. if you have just started then YOU shouldn't be doing anything! your assessor should gather as much evidence as possible through observations then things she cant observe can be covered through PDs RAs and Q and As. i would like to get every lazy sodding assessor (theyre not all bad!) in a room and re teach their A1!!! its their job to find the evidence! argggghhhh
I think the way my course is run is soooo different than the one you discribe above, 5 months in and no visits from assessors so having to do alot of written work to cover stuff.......I cannot imagine that the visits I will get will be that productive! my tutor is currently training at least 4 asessors and none of my class have recieved visits yet....my tutorials are once a month and they are not compulsary! some of the students on the register have never attended!
I find the variety of styles of courses quite confusing...and I am guessing some of the memebers here value one way of teaching over another!