Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > OFSTED

OFSTED Discuss everything related to Ofsted in here ..

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Muggy

OFSTED just landed!!!!

OMG! :crazy: Ofsted just landed on our doorstep this morning! :vomit: :laughing:

They arrived at 8.30am WITHOUT ANY WARNING, may I add!!!!

They mainly did a lot of observing today, and asking some of the staff questions as they were looking around.

They are coming again in the morning to talk to me and the person I run Preschool with, and to do some more observing. So I just wondered if anyone had had any recent experience of an inspection - in a pre-school preferrably, and had any hints or tips they might like to share with me!! Any ideas on questions they may ask so I can swat up!:reading:

I don't think I will sleep very well tonight! I know everything is in order, and we are doing everything as we should be (I think!!) I am just worried they will ask me something I don't know but maybe should!

OH, I will be pleased this time tomorrow!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
cybertwin

good luck for tomorrow and i know that you will but try not to stress

one thing that is going round cluster group at the moment is having a seperate complaints book and procedure awavialbe.

sorry not much insight but am expecting them myself this term as have not seen them since 2004!
Unread 01-23-2007, 07:13 PM
noah

really does depend on inspector while supposed to be all similar they do have their own individual traits. Ours spent a long time with members of staff asking about things like child protection and policies on sick children. she did not ask me any of these things going to staff instead.

Second day she went though our recruitment process, how we vet new staff, Crb checks and what we do with them , big thing for her was how do we ensure staff remain suitable persons for the job, how do we monitor this and record it, who does this,
I assume she has already looked at things like accident books, registers, any risk assessments etc
not forgetting the complaints file and how you allow parents have access to these records.

she did ask staff lots of questions during the session, some on curriculum how we plan it, how we link observations to planning, how we plan

we are accredited so I gave her the folder to take home at the end of he first day and she came back the next stating we were actually progressing and developing our practise and she could see that in this.

showed her lots of Photos too which helped

good luck for tomorrow

just remember they are there to improve your practice and while it may seem they are judging you this is not really the purpose of the inspection.
I always view it as a way to improve my practice and care of the children, and also a celebration of what you can and are doing well.
Unread 01-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

Good Luck Muggy, let us know how you get on.
Unread 01-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Muggy

Crossfingers Will do!

Will do... if I am still alive!!!:crazy:
Unread 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Muggy

Biggrin Been... and gone!!

Well, we are celebrating....!!!!

Without going into great detail, we had brilliant feedback from the inspectors and scored 'good' on every aspect!

Thanks for all your suggestions. They were fantastic and really did help.

Apparently, our Pre-school is seen as a calm environment, with a great team of staff, we are spoken highly of by the parents, and are providing the children with a safe, stimulating and welcoming setting.

We are frazzled now but SO relieved!!:melodramatic:

To sum up, it WAS extremely nerveracking, but it was worth it for the outcome we got.

:blush: :laughing: :razz: :starry-ey :wink: :hyper: :bouncy: :goodvibes
Unread 01-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Highfive

CONGRATULATIONS MUGGY

Now go and have a few of these: :redwine: :redwine: :beer: :beer: :whitewine :whitewine :champagne: :champagne:
Unread 01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

jelleybabe is on a distinguished road

Well done, it is great once they have left, but within saying that, ours was great and she helped us with ideas on things we wanted to change, and she was really positive.

Sarah
Unread 01-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road
Highfive Congratulations

Congraulations Muggy!

You Clearly have a great team working alongside you... Keep up the good work