Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

katiekatiekatie26 is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Teaching a 3yr old to read??

Hello everyone! As you can see i'm new here so be nice
So basically, I work in a preschool with children aged around 3-5. One of my keychildren is exceptionally clever and has a real thirst for learning! She constantly asks me to read to her (on a 1:1 basis!) and is always pointing out the words and asking me what they say. She learnt to write her name about a month ago, and since then can now write her full name and 'mum' and 'dad' confidently without any adult help (such as tracing, dot:dot or 'copying' from adult) anyway long story short she now knows how to write ANY words as long as you tell her which letters to use.. it may sound far fetched, especially for her age, but i'm not pushing her into it, she LOVES to write and can write numbers up to 15. Because she can write mum and dad so confidently she now recognises the words when she sees them in story books. Last week a member of staff was reading a story, and she lent over and pointed out 'MUM and DADDY.' The member of staff was shocked and asked me how i've taught her to read (as we don't do phonics!!) and I replied that i havent, she's just memorised these words because she knows how to write them.. but I was thinking because she learnt to write so quickly and confidently, should I start to teach her to read?? because she is ALWAYS asking me what words say etc so she obviously would enjoy it.. and how would I go about it? Jolly phonics? or the old-school C A T method? Any help would be muchly appreciated!! Sorry for the essay!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

I think what you are doing is enough at her age, no matter how clever she is. You are already working with her on the foundations of reading, you are answering her questions and taking the lead from her for her learning. As long as you are providing the correct resources...books, printed words throughout the nursery, recipes, menus etc in role play then you are 'teaching' her to read. You are aware of her developmental stage and planning appropriate activities to enhance her learning. If you have magnetic letters out you can answer her questions on sounding out the letters, when reading books when she asks what a word says you can say the word, ask what letters she recognises, what sounds she recognise etc. If you have a good relationship with the school she is likely to go to, you could always contact them and ask their advice as every school has a slightly different way of starting sounds etc. In my area we have a training website with useful information and recently had an email through about reading etc if you like i could try and find the information they suggested xx
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

MomAtWork is on a distinguished road

Some great advice there and keep up the good work. In my opinion, Children can begin to learn and read at a very early stage provided a structured approach is followed. Also it is extremely important to mix up their learning and reading activities with things they like e.g games, puzzles, songs etc. This makes it all fun for them and they don't realize that they're learning. There are many online and offline programs these day and many come with free trials. You should choose one depending on your needs and circumstances.
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

kindertouch is on a distinguished road

In my opinion you shouldn't rush things with your daughter. Telling her things whenever she asks is a good way of teaching her this and that. If she's interested with something then support her by giving her the right materials. So far you are absolutely doing a good job!
Unread 08-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

jennycr123 is on a distinguished road

Tell her things whenever she asks is a good way of teaching her this and that. In my opinion you should give her little task but remain with her as well so that when she get some problem you should there and help here to improve more herself.