Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Andy H

Default Operational Plan

Hi,
don't know if anyone can help, but we are opening a wrap around care within a primary school, just trying to get my head round all the daycare standards. we have some policies and procedures in place can you tell me if an operational plan is something we need extra to the policies and procedures. your probably confused but so am i! new to all this as i have always worked in an LEA nursery which don't run on the daycare standards. Please someone help!!!!
Andy

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Hi Andy

Firstly don't panic

An operational plan is simply that .. it is everything you have in place that makes your setting work the way it does.

It's easy to get bogged down by everything that's available so if you begin slowly by writing a list of everything that at this very moment makes your nursery operate you'll be starting on the looong pathway that occassionaly has an end to it :wink: !!

For a beginning example...
  • What policies and procedures you currently have.
  • What risk assessment forms you have.
  • Prospectus, welcome pack.
  • Enrolement and consent forms
  • Parent communication methods you have - newsletters, diary sheets, parent surveys?
  • Planning ~ what planning scheme you have in place
  • What forms of record keeping you have for the children.
Don't necessarily keep a copy of personal information in these documents, a format with the basic content is all that is required.

Once you've a list of everything go through the national standards one by one and check off what you have in place and make another list of what needs to be looked into.

At this point grab your self a wine and flake out then come back here to tell us what you need next

Do you have other staff members that can help you through this step by step ?

ETA: A link to Janie's Operational plan document
Downloadable National standards from Sure Start~ Childcarelink
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 07-28-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added OP link
Unread 07-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I've just re-done mine for EYFS and made 3 columns -

1 what the standard says

2 what i do to comply with the standard

3 where the evidence / proof for what i have said is

I have taken the new standards and done it paragraph by paragraph, coming back to stuff that i'm not sure i can answer when i've pulled all the info together or read up some more

There's loads of help on the cd and it makes life really easy if you cut and paste... I've also found lots of help on the links on the cd

Hope this helps! Sarahx
Unread 07-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator

I've just come across this Pre School's website and it is ideal for looking at some of the basics needed in building an operational plan & how some information can then be presented in a readable parent/carer friendly way ~ Potten Pre School brilliant
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

jph is on a distinguished road

If you search "zero14plus document bank" you will find Devon`s guidelines for creating an Operational Plan (plus lots of other useful information).
Unread 07-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph View Post
If you search "zero14plus document bank" you will find Devon`s guidelines for creating an Operational Plan (plus lots of other useful information).
Excellent thank you for that !

The direct link Devon Councils Document bank
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM
twinkle

hi Sarah. I am really interested in how you have made yours into 3 columns. At the moment i seem to be really struggling to get an op file set up. I am supposed to be having a holiday and I just feel it is getting on top of me, in fact I wish I was back at work. Would you mind sharing a little bit as to how you have done it as I don't want to change and redo everything for next sept. I might as well do it now. Sorry if I am being cheeky.
Unread 07-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

I was thinking about your form this morning as well & how great it would be as a point of reference and confidence booster for those about to have their suitable person interview

Did you copy & paste all the Standard's into the first column of the doc ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

OUTCOME: PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM HARM OR NEGLECT AND HELPING THEM STAY SAFE

Column 1 - Standard 5 - equipment

- Furniture, equipment and toys are appropriate for purpose
- The provision creates an accessible and stimulating environment
- Equipment is of suitable design and condition, well maintained and conforms to safety standards
- Outside area

Column 2 - evidence

- Large range of resources & equipment from birth upwards; toys, games, arts & crafts materials, books, puzzles etc; natural objects used when possible
- Toys easily accessible from labelled boxes; posters & decoration designed to stimulate & engage; accessible to all children
- Safety equipment BS EN standards; all equipment used in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations; chosen to be suitable for diversity & disability; fireguard, stair gate, covers on sockets, reins, harnesses, booster steps etc
- Much enhanced outside area; new games and toys added 2007

Column 3 -relevant policies / docs

- blank
- Disability policy; inclusion statement; resources list
- Daily cleaning schedule; daily safety check
- Outdoor plan in personal development file

oooo can't copy and paste columns!! Hope this makes sense.... then I'm doing the same for the eyfs standards -

Legal requirements - Premises and security

The premises, both indoors and outdoors, must be safe and secure.
-- My front door is kept locked during working hours and has a chain
-- My back door is alarmed during working hours
-- My front garden has a gate which is kept closed when children are playing outside and has a 'please close the gate' sign attached

Providers must notify Ofsted of any change in the facilities to be used for care that may affect the space and level of care available to children. An early years provider who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence.
-- Ok

Providers must only release children into the care of individuals named by the parent.
-- I ask parents for information about any people who are allowed / not allowed to collect children
-- In an emergency, I ask for a password previously agreed with parents

Providers must ensure that children do not leave the premises unsupervised.
-- I keep children within my sight and / or hearing at all times

Providers must take steps to prevent intruders entering the premises.
-- As listed above

Also consider ..

Providers should take into account where relevant:
General indoors and outdoors security, such as which doors are locked or unlocked, door alarms, the use of security systems, intercoms and name badges;
-- Front door is locked with a chain; back door is alarmed during working hours; the garden is fully enclosed with secure fencing; there is a lockable garden gate

Staff awareness of the whereabouts of other people in the building and of other users on the premises;
-- I am always aware who is in / on the premises and, where there are no other users of my home

Information about the need for security and the systems in place, for example, posters and reminders displayed for parents and visitors;
-- Parents are asked to lock the gate, there is a sign in place and I remind them in my monthly newsletters

What additional security measures may be necessary where children stay overnight;
-- Not currently relevant

The use of a system to verify the identity of any visitors, record their names, the purpose of the visit, and details of arrival and departure times;
-- All visitors are asked to sign in and I follow my Visitor Policy for challenging and checking the validity of visitors

-- I have a Visitor Book which records purpose of visit (if confidential then it will say 'confidential)

Arrival and departure procedures for staff, children, parents and visitors;
-- visitor and child arrival and departure times are logged
Except where there is reasonable excuse, obtaining written permission from parents where children are to be picked up by another adult.
-- Parents are aware that, except in emergency situations, I will need their express permission before allowing their child to leave with another adult; in emergencies, I will ask for a password

I just have to put my 3rd column on this lot which shows where the evidence is... hope this makes sense!!

Sarahx
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
twinkle

thank you Sarah for sharing your ideas, I have only just seen your reply.