Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

jen:) is on a distinguished road
Default After school club planning and assessment

I am currently in charge of an After School club, which has only been running for 3 months. I have planning in place but was wondering if anyone could send me a copy of there planning just so i am reassurred it is ok. I am also unsure about assessment too. How much and how detailed? My manager wants the paperwork kept to a minium but i know alot of eveidence is needed. I show links to the EYFS in planning and do mini observations and photos. Do i need to assign keyworkers to each child?
Thanks
jen:)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

If you are working with children who are in the Eyfs (up to the start of Year 1) then they will need a key worker.

The best type of planning comes from their interests... so you observe, listen to what they are saying, get info from parents and other settings and then plan for their future learning and development.

Your planning should also show how you complement their time elsewhere - so if the children are coming to you after school, you might show planned time for homework with support from key workers, planned time for free play because they have been busy all day (free play with games provided which follow their interests)... then planning for seasonal and other events you want to mark with the children through the year.

I think the first year will be the hardest, then you will have systems in place to follow through for next year which will just need tweaking to show they are following the current children's interests.

I hope this helps
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM

jen:) is on a distinguished road

Thankyou thats great. When assisgning keyworkers to the EYFS children do i need to provide the highlighting sheets that cover the 6 areas of development and do assessment from there. (observations etc.) Just didnt know if it had to be as detailed as what they do in school.
Thanks
Jen:)x
Unread 12-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

It's the other way round - you do observations and by assessing the obs you can see the child's interests, needs, wishes etc for their individual planning.

You use your knowledge of the child to spot ideas for their next steps and you can link everything you see and hear to the Eyfs.

Hth
Unread 01-21-2011, 12:55 AM

kandyflip is on a distinguished road

If you are working in an after school club, what works is to work within Playwork Principles and enabling children to have access to as many of the different play types as possible. Let children choose whatever they wish to play with and for their own reasons. Keep adult-led activities to a minimum.

As a playworker, you shouldn't be planning learning outcomes for the children's play at all. Rather, you should be supporting children to fully express their playfulness.