Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships Early Years interviews, appraisals, building partnerships with parents, carers and your local extended community. Share ideas to help support staff in working together and in identifying stakeholders. Please use this forum to discuss solutions, problem solving and linking experiences ...

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 01-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sparky is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Advice Needed: staff member working nights then working at Playgroup

I'm really hoping for some advice please!

I have a staff member who only works one morning a week. She also works nights at a private hospital. Does anyone know if legally she can work a night shift (she calls it a sleep in) finish at 8am and them come to Playgroup for 8.45am

Evidently before I was Supervisor she was told that she couldn't work the night before her Playgroup morning but my Chair cannot find anything in her file as to how that was resolved.

The last 2 weeks it has been apparant that she is working the night before Playgroup as she got stuck in the snow at the hospital 2 weeks running. The first week she rang me from the hospital and said "I'll be in when I can - that's alright isn't it?". The second week (last week) she didn't even phone. At 8.55am she still hadn't arrived (we start at 8.45) so I had to ask a committee member to agree to stand in until she turned up so that I could open the door to parents. She turned up at 9.00am saying "with not much of an apology and seemed shocked that I was not happy with her".

My committee are certainly not happy - but before I sit down with her I thought I would seek advice to see if anyone knew if there was any legal requirements for sleep etc. before starting a 2nd job.

Sorry to bend your ears!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, is time keeping part of her contract or maybe an unwritten commitment that you all have in regards to your preschool? and do you feel that the night work could or has affected her competence to work during preschool hours?

Frustrating for everyone if you feel she's not viewing your group professionally.

Working hours from Acas, would giving them a call to explain the situation & to see what they'd advise help?

Best wishes, let us know how it goes xx
the cost of ad blockers