Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships Early Years interviews, appraisals, building partnerships with parents, carers and your local extended community. Share ideas to help support staff in working together and in identifying stakeholders. Please use this forum to discuss solutions, problem solving and linking experiences ...

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kimbo is on a distinguished road
Smile staff conflict

Hi Everybody,
I am new to this board, and can not tell you how invaluable this site has been, i only found it last week, and have been on it nearly every day!!
I have an issue at work, and would appreciate any advice, feed back.
i started work at a community run playgroup in september, and the first couple of weeks were brilliant, kids, and overall staff still are......however, there is a situation that has built up over the last few weeks with regards to our play leader.

she was taken on, after the last play leader left, and it had gone down hill slightly, to get everything up and going again, and everything in place that obviously was not. unfortunately this person seems to think it is up to her to do everything, and i mean everything.
  • will not pass on any responsibilities to the Deputy
  • does not pass on vital info regarding the children
  • there is still not every day simple procedures in place
  • no observations have been done on the children since the start of September
  • no advertising or fund raising has been done (and we are only half full still)
  • she has real paranoia issues when it comes to the Deputy, and in my opinion picks on her, and jumps down her throat for any little thing.

when we raise these issues, she puts things off, or says she will sort it. we have now had three meeting, which she asked not to be minuted, about her delegation, and attitude towards staff.

i am at my wits end. i really feel for the deputy, as i think this is bullying, harrasment. what do you think i should do?

any advice really appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi & a warm welcome, tricky situations.

At first glance I'd venture to ask if there are a lot of percieved expectations?

Have you personally made a connection with her that might allow you to ask about potential problem's with eyfs, planning / management and to reassure her that you're all in it together as a team ?

Very best wishes

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kimbo is on a distinguished road
Default staff conflict

Hi

thank you for your response.

at first i thought maybe it was where she was settling in etc, and getting to know us all. but we have all since approached her, seperately and as a group, and stated our concerns, and how we can, and are available to help, but all we get is, she is the MANAGER, its almost as if, she gives us any sort of responisibility we are better than her, but this is starting to have a detremental effect. i voiced my concern about the lack of paperwork in place, or not as the case may be, and no work on the kids, observtions etc, photo evidence, and how this would relflect if Ofsted turned up, and her reply was, don't worry we will only be put on a review!! (we were satisfactory last time).

she pulled me and the deputy up the other day for being ready to start work at 8.05, and waiting in the car park(we start at 8.15), and she said she found this intimidating(bearing in mind she is due to start work at 8.15, and 90% of the time we are lucky if she is there before 8.20) that surely is not our problem that we can arrive for work early, but she can not.

i am at a loss, about what to do.....if you approach her about anything, you can literally see her body language change, and the shutters come down
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Will PM you xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

gemkaikay is on a distinguished road

I personally thought that a playgroup was run by a committee and the playleader still has to ask and go the the committee with anything.
she is not the manager xxx
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Bev 06 is on a distinguished road

I expect by now Ruthie has sorted you out with her PM, certainly hope so. If you are still having no joy you need to go to the management and tell them of your concerns. If you still have no joy talk to your Development officer or Early years advisor, they are there to help. It could be that this supervisor is struggling a tad too.
Take care
Bev
Unread 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM

daisypops is on a distinguished road
Default staff conflict

Just been reading these posts, I know they are a bit old now but ifound them v interesting as my friend is in a similar situation now. A new supervisor came in -the same as what already been said -staff went to committee, no help there, went to early years team and they said nothing can be done as no proof even though staff had wrote letters, parents complaining and taking their children out. another long running work colleague has just left - nothing has changed - as she was being bullied, couldnt stand it there any more as she got no back up from committee. What must happen for this incapable woman to get pulled up as she just gets away with it. Its not really my concern, just want to help my friend x
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

It's dreadful isn't it, when this happens. All you can do is be there for them if her Committee aren't willing to listen to her. In the end she may have to walk away, but it's a great shame.
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:28 PM

daisypops is on a distinguished road
Well, my friend has handed in her notice as the committee held a meeting with the manager and an Early Years advisor regarding the bullying complaint as well as other issues. Guess what? The outcome is that nothing can be proved... My friend has been a loyal employee there for 6 years, no complaints against her, the manager has only just been appointed and still on trial! The other girls are shocked, the setting is falling apart and parents are taking their children out...
Happy days, back to School soon!!!!!!! :weepy:
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

Oh that's not good is it. It's time the committee led preschool management situation was looked into - why should we slog to get qualified to be 'led' by someone who hasn't a clue