Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding

PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding All matters relating to Personal, Social & Emotional issues, safeguarding and protecting, behaviour, illness, inclusion.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Notebook Slapped cheek ?

Anyone got children going down with this ?

I'm pretty certain I had this about 4 years ago .. & it's not nice knocked me off my feet for a few weeks ... but at least it's a once only thing !! Just trying to find out if it has a 'suggested cycle of appearance !!

Slapped Cheek or Parvo Virus from NHS direct.
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
noah

no, not seen it at all
Do know that....
In children it is often not spotted until the rash appears, and by this time it is no longer contagious.
But it can be harmful to pregnant women so needs to be advertised to parents .
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

kimmy is on a distinguished road

We had a case of it last week , its been missing for a few years now but seems to be on its way back in...took us a while to find about all the details again but Noah has it right - mainly once rash is out children are no longer contagious , but pregnant women should check with their GP according to what we found out ....the one thing i didnt realise was the parvo virus link ...so i have sent out a letter to parents just to inform them of details if their children come down with it.
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

yes, this is going round both the infants and junior schools at the mo, i know at least 7 children that have got it and 1 teacher, its not nice.
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

star is on a distinguished road

we had it too about 3 weeks ago
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
mellonmellow

I've never seen Slapped Cheek Syndrome. Where is it usually contracted?
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
noah

Slapped cheek syndrome is a virus that only affects humans, caused by a virus called parvovirus B19.
It is transferred from person to person through the air, in saliva or through close contact, such as through coughing and sneezing. This means it can rapidly spread through schools or nurseries easily.

Although the virus can affect animals (canine parvovirus and feline panleukopenia virus), parvovirus B19 is the only known human form of the virus. The virus cannot pass from human to animal or vice versa.

Look at link above for more info

Just had 2 cases, one nursery locally has most children affected at mo.

Dr of one of our parents said it is an allergic rash!! But this was passed to other family members!
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:28 PM
mellonmellow

Thanks for the information. Yes, I was worried that it might be contagious.