Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

friend is on a distinguished road
Default research project on schemas

Hi,
I wondered if anyone could help me come up with some key words for my research project on schemas. I need help with a question.

I am really interested in schematic development, I did a short level 3 course. But I would really like to investigate further. however I'm stuck!!!
Do I explore schemas in action ?? my question for this is simple

Exploring schematic development in the early years.

Or do I look at how the setting provides for children showing schematic development and how can I put this into a question.

I am fully aware that formulating a question has to be my own work!!

But if anyone has any key words which can help me formulate a question I would be grateful !!!
or could give an objective view of why one area would be harder/easier/too vague/too simple/not enough.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend View Post
Hi,
I wondered if anyone could help me come up with some key words for my research project on schemas. I need help with a question.

I am really interested in schematic development, I did a short level 3 course. But I would really like to investigate further. however I'm stuck!!!
Do I explore schemas in action ?? my question for this is simple

Exploring schematic development in the early years.

Or do I look at how the setting provides for children showing schematic development and how can I put this into a question.

I am fully aware that formulating a question has to be my own work!!

But if anyone has any key words which can help me formulate a question I would be grateful !!!
or could give an objective view of why one area would be harder/easier/too vague/too simple/not enough.

I think it would be easier if you researched as much as possible - online and in books on schemas such as Piaget, Cathy Nut-Brown, Chris Athey etc. I use to have one (or many) ideas in my head, but as I read and researched, I went a different way completely; so personally I always think the research comes first and then you can meld it with your own knowledge.

I'm sure if you read as many books as you can find and get different/same/overlapping perspective from theorists and/or educators those key words and ideas may suddenly 'click'.

Have you got any of your information from your previous course or any work you may have done in your setting that you can use? (even if it's just for pesonal reference) to give you a clearer picture of what you want to do.

How about setting aside some of a session to observe and 'follow' a child engrossed in schematic play? You could always set out a few props and 'lay' in wait with a camera at a distance (so a child is unaware of you), or watch out for children who adapt resources to fit their schema.

Shooting off a sucession of photographs will allow you see (and keep) schematic play 'blow by blow' and will help keep it fresh in your mind as you input your knowledge into your assignment.

I'm not sure if this will help, but perhaps it may determine what you don't want to do.
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

friend is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thankyou,
You are totally right, as I finished writing the thread I realised that I should start to read up more on the subject.
I have got my previous work and looked at that.
I also realised I had some books and old nuresry worlds that had bits about schemas in them.

I think sometimes what you need to do is obvious but you get bogged down by the mechanics of things that you don't see it. Its not until someone says have you done this?? have you thought of that??? that it clicks.

Thanks again