Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 10-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Rantiki is on a distinguished road
Default Are you thinking of taking the Early Years Foundation Degree?

Then I have some advice for you, I have just started this part time at University, I have gone straight from two years part time study also at College/Placement doing not only level 2 and 3 Child Care and Children's Workforce, as well as completing both Maths and English GCSE's.

My class is small but already there have been several complaints and whines among my class mates. So much so that I felt may be a someone should actually warn people about what are the most common misconceptions.

1. It is not the same as level 3 at all, don't think that it's going to be the same subjects rehashed with a little more detail or content added. This is the big league, you will be expected to manage your own study as well as actively apply yourself. Nothing will be spoon fed.

2. You will need at LEAST 15 hours study time per week devoted, discipline is a must. This is the most common misconception, you can't need 15 hours!!. YES you will, most of this per week when not working on summative assessment will be spent reading and researching. When summative assessment is due it will be on planning, drafting and writing assignments.

3. Don't blame the teachers, and don't expect the same treatment as at level 3 you are being assessed throughout the course even in lesson. They advise, but they never will hand you information. If you use only information gained in class you will fail modules.

4. Take note of Study Skills it will save your bottom on numerous occasions, it's vital, how you write, how you interpret what the essay wants, and how you demonstrate and showcase your knowledge is all important, in fact for foundation it's vital.

And lastly listen to TuTu she tells it like it is, if you want to run with the big girls, you gotta bring your A Game.

The time for coasting is past!

Good Luck! Rantiki

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-17-2015, 09:10 AM

cherrypicker is on a distinguished road

I am in my second year with the Open University and I have much the same feedback from people in my tutor group. It suits me really well and I have good time management but some of my fellow students just do not have the time! they want to be told what to do and when to do it, they just do not have time for independent research and study and seem to think they can whip up an essay hours before it is due to be submitted. I love my study but I am lucky I have older children and a supportive husband who will cook dinner on days when I am studying. Its hard work but its going to be worth it when I am on that stage with my gown and certificate!
Unread 09-21-2019, 07:28 PM

DanielleD is on a distinguished road

I have just started this FD this week, I'm already considering giving up my LO has ASD and ADHD and I'm already struggling with getting my head around the first assessment Complete a piece of research about an initiative which impacts on your sector? my sector is Early Years would research on EYPP be relevant? :|