Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 10-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Remaha is on a distinguished road
Default Research of 3 pieces of legislation/policies

Hi all

First time posting so please be patient with me

I am so stuck on this, i'm not sure if i have been overthinking and confusing myself, but now i can not make head nor tale of it

It's related to EY8 and the assignemnt is....

I would like you to do a project that shows and explains your Research of 3x pieces of legislation/Policies that help support the observation and assessment process. The policies and legislation you could use to support this are:
• EYFS
• Date Protection
• Parents as partners
Your research can help produce a handout that will help support new Practitioners in your setting in the planning and assessment process.

I know it is probably starting me in hte face!

Thanks in advance for any help

Remaha

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a warm welcome in :)

So this is asking you to research the observation, assessment and planning aspects of EYFS which is the most current framework that registered settings are required by law to meet the standards of. They also need to be able to produce evidence of how they do this for times when OFSTED conducts an inspection.

You can download the 2017 EYFS framework on this page of gov.uk https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-framework--2 it has an introduction page that explains what it is and what it aims to achieve through the 3 different sections.

Data protection is mentioned on page 15 and 32 of the EYFS. You can also research what the Data Protection Act and its 8 guiding principles are about on the ICO.org.uk website To help you understand how this applies to the data collected in your setting ask if they have a Data Protection or Privacy policy you can read.

Parents as partners - EYFS pages 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 16, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32,33,34

Use your setting's policy on parent partnership to see it's unique approach. There are also various sources you can use to research further - maybe check with your tutor to see if they have any particular recommendations?

Look up parents in the index of your level 3 EYE handbook - link to amazon.co.uk

Parents, early years and learning - PEAL

The research and studies underpinning PEEP

Every Parent Matters 2007 was published under the Labour government and is now archived but remains useful reading

These free publications are good for exploring how parent partnerships support children's transitions, their behaviour, learning and development

Hope this helps start things off for you xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Thankyou so much.

This will be a massive help, i just need to think how to start it now :-)

Sometimes all it needs is it explaining differently!

Really big thanks
Unread 10-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Hi, maybe you could title the project '3x pieces of legislation/Policies that help support the observation and assessment process'

Then create sub headers with pages dedicated to each of the 3 pieces and how you've discovered they relate to observation, assessment and planning.

Once you're happy with the information and the way you've laid it out, you'll be able to take key points and build a handout that would potentially support new practitioners, enabling them to find out what the EYFS says about observations, assessment and planning, how parents and staff work together to support children by sharing observations/details about events that happen at home and what's going on in the setting and then how this data/information is kept safe so that only appropriate people have access to it.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-26-2017, 12:27 AM

Such good advice again. I really need to switch my brain off and go to bed but i can't ;-)
I'm having a problem with the data protection, purely because we are still paperbased in our setting for observations and reports, so i have no dealing with it at all! My manager does transfer the trackers that we give to her onto computer but that is literally as close to a computer as i get at work. Do you think i should state this in my assignement or should i follow what i have read on the data protection act and the EYFS?
Really sorry for the questions, i just want to get this right and signed off

xx
Unread 10-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Hi, data protection applies to any information in any format, paper or digital, neither is more important than the other so the trackers you complete are most relevant to this xx

At level 3 you'll be expected to have some involvement with paperwork and legally your job description, role and responsibilities will explain how you're meant to handle that information so that the setting is not in breach of the Data Protection Act. Information can be collected in different ways, face to face, verbally by phone and in writing - txt, letter, email, professional observation, plans written or printed.

Are you a key-person to a group of children?

Do you ever take register or mark children in and out of the session?

Do you report information that parents have shared with you about how a child's feeling that day, food allergies, daily events, developmental concerns, medicines?

Consider how the setting uses this information. Does it help with assessing how well a child is doing, if there are any concerns does it detail additional support that's in place for a child, is this then used to plan activities for their progress.

As an Early Years Provider your setting is required to observe, assess and plan (EYFS 2017) so collecting this information is its purpose (principle 1 & 2)

Think about what happens to that information/data. Where does it end up? In the playground for everyone to look through, or a safe place (principle 7) that respects an individual's right to privacy and not have that information used for marketing purposes (principle 6), does new information mean the setting's records are updated?(principle 5) so that the information held 'on file' stays accurate (principle 4)

When you read about principle 3 you see how information needs to be adequate. For example, one morning a parent comes in tells you their child is allergic and then leaves. You would not have adequate information to assess if the setting's meals, drinks or play activities would trigger an attack. In the same way, should a parent tell you their child is allergic you would not unfairly insist on a full signed copy of their medical history.

Hope this helps a little more, projects can be indepth xx

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-26-2017, 11:57 AM

You have been great, thankyou so much.

I really didn't get . the question to start with, but you have more than explained it perfectly.

Massive thankyou
xxx
Unread 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Administrator

you're very welcome xx
the cost of ad blockers