Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 03-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Muggy

Babysitter advice needed!

Can anyone help!!?

We have only really ever had family babysit my son (he's 5yrs old now), and of course they do it for free!! But now, for various reasons, I can't ask family, so was thinking about asking a neighbours son (he's 18yrs old) to babysit for us. He has got a child care qualification (Cache certificate I think) and has experience of working with children, as well as having a 4 year old sister. He's always pleasant and seems trustworthy.

Its not that we go anywhere on a regular basis, just for the odd time I would be nice to have someone handy to ask.

So, if we ask him...

- Are there any rules, regs, laws, etc. regarding letting him babysit?
- How much do you think we should pay him?
- What does everyone else pay?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-23-2006, 08:25 PM
jen

There are no formal qualifications to be a babysitter, as long as you and your son is happy with him then that shoud be enough.
As for pay, then that you will have to decide between you and him (min wage £5.35 a hour)
if he has done the Cache then he must have some experience of children.
You could always ask him to look after him one day while you go to the shops as a kinda 'test run' to see how your sone gets on with him.
I'm sure he will be fine.
Unread 03-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Patsy

Check with others in the area what rates they pay,if he has experience in childcare then Id be inclined to pay a bit more.
Remember to tell him where your giong,leave a phone number.Leave him some food cool drink,crisps,coffee etc. Tell him if your child has any favourite toys etc.show him where spare clothes are in case the child is sick.Leave your Drs. phone number in case of accidents.Im sure hell be O.K
As said already introduce him to the child and see how they get on. Then if you feel happy ask him to come round one Sat for a while whilst you go shopping .
Unread 03-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Muggy

Thanks

Thanks for the advice
I think I'll invite him round during the day either Sat or Sun and leave them to get to know each other for an hour or two, and take it from there.
Thanks again. x
Unread 03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Patsy

Default Wine

It doesnt get time to age when im around:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :redwine: :redwine: :redwine: :redwine:
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM
noah

sorry but minimum wage quote is incorrect for 18 yr old it is currently 4.25 for 18 yr old rising to 4.45 from 1st oct. best to arrange amount before booking...

i also askyou to consider...would you ask the same if it was a girl?

Last edited by noah : 04-02-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Unread 03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
jen

oh yeah, for workers aged 22 it £5.05 then £5.35 in Oct 06 (:muted: Sorry)
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Muggy

I would have posted exactly the same question if it was a girl, yes.

I only posted because I just wanted to know what the general rules were (if there were any) for hiring a babysitter (male or female, doesn't make a difference to me as long as they are trustworthy)... as I have never paid anyone to do it before.

Doesn't make any difference does it?
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Rach71

my babysitter was my sons friend who was 17 and had been a family friend for years...he knew the children has first aid knowledge and a very practical head on his shoulders...I paid him £12 for a night out from 8-12 and after 12 it was an extra £5 an hour..but my children got a lot from it..he helped with homework and read stories...a real treasure..now aged 26 he is a soldier in army...lol...bit of a difference...most of all I knew I could trust him and thats what u need to feel..
Unread 04-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Feel really uncomfortable about posting this..but a word of warning....a very dear friend of mine had a male family friend babysit her young daughter...only for her daughter to disclose some sensitive information regarding the 'game' they played..it has really made me think about who I will have babysit my children...