Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

singingemma is on a distinguished road
Outdoor area!

We recently had a visit from the early years advisor, she has mentioned that we need to make our outdoor area more effective. Can anyone give me some ideas of what to do to improve the garden area bearing in mind it's not very big and all soft surface
Thank you!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, 6 sunken paving stones could help make a small hardstanding area for a play tray, stage floor or chalking surface. Large planters could hold woodchips, sand, soil or other mediums for digging & transporting. A hand water pump - pitcher fixed to a barrell provides lots of scope for play - funnels, hose, pipes & guttering. Tubs or a wooden chest maybe with flowers, windmills, gems/glass pebbles for collecting. Tunnel with water resistant torches - hand and head bring an ICT quality to outdoor play. A trellis or small cargo net for items be hung on, draped and dress.

Cherry bloosom apple or weeping willow tree?

It'll depend on the age of your children. If the setting feels strongly enough about adding extra or new features maybe get together for fundraising & action planning?

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

hi there we have an outdoor planning sheet which if you send me your email i can try and send you a copy so you can see what we do. basically we had the same visit and were informed we were doing everything we just needed to work in the planning and observation side of things. we now have a sheet split into the 6 areas of development. i fill this sheet in from staff ideas and also childrens ideas. When i child gives me an idea and i write it on i make sure to put their name by it as a sign of recognition. let me know if you or indeed anyone else would like to see my plan.
thanks Suzanne.
Unread 03-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

Also we bring loads of stuff from inside outside. infact almost anything done inside can be done outside. as far as my plans i also add to them during the week as children may adapt whats on their or create their own ideas. we have a plastic and wodden play house. (tens can make good pretend houses, bear caves etc). i have also found http://uk.freecycle.org/ to be really helpful, with the added bennifit of it all being free. we have an outdoor box which we keep inside. whenever something is being brought outside we put it in this box.