Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road
Default nvq 3 in playwork

i have been supervisor of the after school club and holiday playscheme for 1 year, deputy in my previous job for 2 years, with an nvq 3 in early years education. I have now been told that from september I will need my nvq 3 in playwork..early years nvq is no longer recognised in playwork, and 75% of staff now need playwork qualifications not early years. just thought i would share this with everyone incase you are in the same position as me with all staff level 3 but in the wrong area!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

to be clear the current nvq is 0 to 18 NOT early years. one of the reasons they changed it was to meet the joined up needs of a childrens service. and of course ECM is up to 19 so unless your on a specific early years course of which there arent many in the nvq realm then you will cover the age range in any case. ccld is child care learning and development no longer early years. if yours is ccld you can argue this quite clearly
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:30 PM

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

We were in the same position Farley's i had level 3 care and education which was children up to 7 so was told needed to do playwork- though thinking about it we only have children up to 7 anyway as we are based in an infant school! So i got level 3 care and education and playwork.

Tutu i'm guessing you're on about newer NVQs i did mine 10 years ago so was only early years, sounds like some people will be covered if they've got a newer NVQ.
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM

my nvq covers 0-16 but i still need an nvq 3 in playwork because of new legislation
Unread 05-08-2009, 04:53 PM

i would question that farley as it certainly isnt the case in this authority and we are a lead auth in playwork!
Unread 05-08-2009, 06:49 PM

it came from ofsted so im guessing ill just have to do it
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:58 PM

well thats no answer! lol it depends on the inspector. have spoken to our play service manager today who told me that he would ask a student to do an extra optional unit on their nvq as long as it was in date. If yo have a 0 to 16 qualification then the play option unit should be enough just as the child-minder one is for their reg. but hey only trying to give another perspective well several actually! lol
Unread 09-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

glasses girl is on a distinguished road
Default Transitional Award L3

In my area there is a fast track route, transitional award for Level 3 practitioners. It's a 60 hour course plus 30 hour placement in a setting, that will give you L3 Playwork. It costs £50 because it's subsidized. If you ask your Sure Start worker, they may be able to point you in the right direction.
Unread 09-26-2009, 07:31 PM

well im booked on to a level 2 playwork course in november, (4 saturdays 9.30am-6pm with 2 1000 word assignments!!!) and starting my foundation degree in oct, was told this would be enough........now been told i will have to top up my level 3 in early years with a few modules to give me a level 3 in playwork too!!!! plus im doing first aid for 2 weeks in october.....I'll be all coursed out soon!!!
Unread 09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

glasses girl is on a distinguished road

It's all courses these days and I'm not sure it's for the better, in the last 3 weeks I've done a Sef course, a Safeguarding course ( 2 nights), and met with a splinter group all 'til 9 at night. In the next few weeks it's Caf and Food hygiene. We're spending either less time with the kids or doing more at home. I don't know about you but I'm not doing anything different, I'm just writing about it!!