Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Kerry03 is on a distinguished road
Structured teaching activity

Hi everyone,

I am studying my CCLD NVQ level 3, and the school where I am based, I have been lucky enough to have been offered an interview for a TA position that has become available.

However, as part of the interview I have been asked to prepare a structured teaching activity for 10 minutes. The position will be working with Key Stage 2 (age 9 - 10) pupil with ASD. The whole school is SEN and I am familiar with the class, but the position will be working 1:1 with a new child starting in September!

I have looked on the net for insperation, but I have only found things that are for younger children.

Any suggestions/ideas would be gratefully received :idea:

x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry03 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am studying my CCLD NVQ level 3, and the school where I am based, I have been lucky enough to have been offered an interview for a TA position that has become available.

However, as part of the interview I have been asked to prepare a structured teaching activity for 10 minutes. The position will be working with Key Stage 2 (age 9 - 10) pupil with ASD. The whole school is SEN and I am familiar with the class, but the position will be working 1:1 with a new child starting in September!

I have looked on the net for insperation, but I have only found things that are for younger children.

Any suggestions/ideas would be gratefully received :idea:

x
I can see lots of us are reading your question, but don't feel able to help you. This is very much a specific task for a specific child. I don't need to tell you that a sen child has different or additional needs and it often takes a senco and surrounding team to devise an IEP and then the senco and setting go about putting it into place, then adapting and review it to suit that particular child 's disposition or development.

I only work with children upto five, so that is where my expertise lies. You say you already work with 9-10 year olds and the research you have found has only been for much younger children.
Can you not combine your knowledge of the children you work with, use it with your research for younger children and adapt (extend it) up to the age group youy need? You could use the activity from the research you have found but move it on one step or two. In your writing put, that upon meeting with a child you take into account their needs and abilities and therefore this activity may well be changed or adapted to suit their needs. You will evaluate and reflect upon how it went, what you would do next time etc. You will ask for help and guidance from the senco etc

I am sure there will be no right nor wrong (unless you are way out), but if you show your knowledge and experience ( and that means sometimes admitting you will ask another professional) and write of the activity being flexible.
I take it you are referring to Autistic Spectrum Disorder?
I have taught many children on this sepctrum, but have never had one child alike. One thing they do need is a consistent routine, so whatever you do, keep it simple with not too many changes/things to think about. At 9 would a simple game of snakes and ladders be suitable?
You have lots of numbers, colours, language as you chat, or a game of dominoes. I'd have two things prepared in case the child has a fascination with trains/cars/dinosaurs etc There is a game called Spotty Dinosaurs. Try and prepare something simple and neutral if you know nothing of the child. Remember they will understand you know nothing of this child, but are testing you. Much better to have shown you were prepared than you gave an excuse and did nothing.
Best of luck.
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
I can see lots of us are reading your question, but don't feel able to help you. This is very much a specific task for a specific child. I don't need to tell you that a sen child has different or additional needs and it often takes a senco and surrounding team to devise an IEP and then the senco and setting go about putting it into place, then adapting and review it to suit that particular child 's disposition or development.

I only work with children upto five, so that is where my expertise lies. You say you already work with 9-10 year olds and the research you have found has only been for much younger children.
Can you not combine your knowledge of the children you work with, use it with your research for younger children and adapt (extend it) up to the age group youy need? You could use the activity from the research you have found but move it on one step or two. In your writing put, that upon meeting with a child you take into account their needs and abilities and therefore this activity may well be changed or adapted to suit their needs. You will evaluate and reflect upon how it went, what you would do next time etc. You will ask for help and guidance from the senco etc

I am sure there will be no right nor wrong (unless you are way out), but if you show your knowledge and experience ( and that means sometimes admitting you will ask another professional) and write of the activity being flexible.
I take it you are referring to Autistic Spectrum Disorder?
I have taught many children on this sepctrum, but have never had one child alike. One thing they do need is a consistent routine, so whatever you do, keep it simple with not too many changes/things to think about. At 9 would a simple game of snakes and ladders be suitable?
You have lots of numbers, colours, language as you chat, or a game of dominoes. I'd have two things prepared in case the child has a fascination with trains/cars/dinosaurs etc There is a game called Spotty Dinosaurs. Try and prepare something simple and neutral if you know nothing of the child. Remember they will understand you know nothing of this child, but are testing you. Much better to have shown you were prepared than you gave an excuse and did nothing.
Best of luck.
Thank you for replying. I take on board everything you are saying.
Yes, I am referring to Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
I don't think the new child will be present at the interview....I think it is just going to be the interview panel (Head, Deputyhead and one or two school governors.....no pressure there then)!!
What is the spotty dinosaur game you mentioned....where can I find further info.?
Would it be ok to keep the activity as simple as preparing a game? I wasn't sure if they would be looking for more than that???
One thing I did come across yesterday, whilst I was waiting and hoping that someone would reply to my thread, was to make a lava lamp????
Use a 500ml drink bottle, half fill with oil, add water to nearly top, add 10 drops of food colouring, then add half an antiacid tablet.....it should bubble??
Or am I going too indepth with the whole thing????
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lewis is on a distinguished road

Hi, I've not had too much work related time with SEN children, however, a member of my family has autism. It's difficult because if he doesn't like an activity, he'll make it clear! He particularly enjoys routine, as you will know is often the case. Each night he gets out a scrapbook, and prints pictures from the internet to stick in. these are mainly films that he likes, he writes quotes on a word processor and makes a kind of collage with it.
You could maybe look through catalouges and things and cut and stick, if you think this could of interest.

however if your looking at experimental kind of things, then there are millions of fun, easy ones to do... can't promise theres no mess, or risk assesments to go with it though...

heres a link to a decent website for these types of activites

http://www.easy-kids-science-experim...le-school.html
(i've done a few, most succesfully making our own volcano - went down well till i got a few white t-shirts to turn red!)
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis View Post
Hi, I've not had too much work related time with SEN children, however, a member of my family has autism. It's difficult because if he doesn't like an activity, he'll make it clear! He particularly enjoys routine, as you will know is often the case. Each night he gets out a scrapbook, and prints pictures from the internet to stick in. these are mainly films that he likes, he writes quotes on a word processor and makes a kind of collage with it.
You could maybe look through catalouges and things and cut and stick, if you think this could of interest.

however if your looking at experimental kind of things, then there are millions of fun, easy ones to do... can't promise theres no mess, or risk assesments to go with it though...

heres a link to a decent website for these types of activites

http://www.easy-kids-science-experim...le-school.html
(i've done a few, most succesfully making our own volcano - went down well till i got a few white t-shirts to turn red!)

Hi Lewis
Thanks for the info.
If I'm honest, I just have no idea as to how to approach this?:weepy:
I have never had an interview where you were required to perform an activity.....so I don't know how basic or in more detail should I keep it???
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, try not to worry too much xx

Being adaptable and flexible is so important when looking at care & learning. Your snow or glitter globe idea is so good but could also be quite complicated for a child who may not yet have the dexterity involved in making it. As you say you don't and won't know the child as an individual until after they've joined and settled a little. So your interview activity should be as open ended as possible. The cut and paste activity, thank you sounds more accessible to a range of differing skill levels or how about discuss how you'd welcome the student by making a pictoral & text schedule of the days routine together?

Are you in a position to ask if there are any pre-formed ideas on what a structured activity is or should 'look like?

Are you making an activity plan - what it is, what you need, required skills - scissor, mark making, sight, focus, hand/eye coordination, reflection to see how much child/adult participation might be involved - if the balance is tipped to more adult direction maybe reassess to see how you can change it. Doing this will help you feel a little more confident as to what will happen once you have the 'floor so to speak xx pass over the more complex activity plan to the interview panel, so you can focus on demonstrating the activity in practice.

These pages from Autism.org.uk are a good read working with autism

Knowing how the school approaches and assesses additional needs will help you see what activities they already have in place to help students progress.

Counting & sorting, repetition, obsessions, clapping, rhythm, rhyme, music, computers, activities for precision and activities known to test boundaries - messy, water play, wind, touch, closeness..

Board games, coin sorters, placement & precision games - fuzzy felt is quite tactile so may not always be suitable. Scrabble, letter and number games.

Autism - out and about

There are some good printable ideas and information on this website: Practical autism resources - the behaviour and emotions cards are excellent for helping you to know they are in place as TA support.

Hope it goes well for you, let us know xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM

The cut and paste activity, thank you sounds more accessible to a range of differing skill levels or how about discuss how you'd welcome the student by making a pictoral & text schedule of the days routine together?

Ruth...which activity where you referring to??x
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Whichever you feel most comfortable with .

I quite like the daily routine & photos of rooms & places, more so as the student will be in a new unfamiliar environment - if this isn't the case maybe the cut n paste would be better - or combine the two to reinforce the structure of your school's routines. As Heidi mentions you could adapt it to meet the needs of the child once they are with you. Use language and depth of explanation to help inform them - or the interview panel at first of everything that goes on in the school - this provides a reassuring perspective of events, times & sequence.

Do you know what your school does for the transition of new starters?

Are there any maps available, timetables, planning books or could you ask permission to photograph corridors/coat rack/classrooms that you could then use to ensure the new student is made to feel part of everything that goes on and again as suggested can you chat with your senco to see if they have any suggestions or knowledge about the child that would help you focus an activity or on a learning objective - your snow globe may be perfect.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

I'm torn now between whether to go with my snow globe/lava lamp activity, or a snakes and ladders board game???? (I have seen a variation of this on the net called "Chicken run"!! It is set out like a snakes & ladders board, but there are bridges (up) and slides (down)....

It has been suggested that I have a "back-up" activity.....should that be on the same lines as first activity??

I'm sorry with all the questions......I'm just soooooooo nervous and I want to get it right (to at least stand a slight chance of getting the job)

x
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lewis is on a distinguished road

if you go in and do any of these activities you've listed i'm more than sure it will go fine. tell them how hard it was, not coming up with an idea, but choosing between them!