Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jadey is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Early years foundation degree ???

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask a few questions about the EYFD. I have just finished my lvl 3 in CYPW and would love to progress onto this degree. I work 40 hours a week so will be taking the course part time but am 100% committed to putting in a lot of hours of work and research.
I wanted to know if i can get any funding for this degree? Im under 25 if that helps?
Also needed to know if i need to work in different placements throughout the degree or can i use my full time job as part of my work experience?
I have also read that i would need to do a top up after this onto a BA honours degree which would also take a few years after that? Is this even worth it and what kind of jobs could i progress onto?
thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-06-2012, 10:43 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

ill answer them in order! yes progress BUT BUT BUT it is a huge huge leap. an FD is for experienced practitioners and experienced students thats who it is specifically designed for. Many people who go from 3 straight to FD fall out because the leap from an assessment based course like the 3 is so different. from essay one you have to pass, not nearly pass or redo anything you don't get second chances you have to pass. ( you get one fail over the 2 years) so you have to be ready. Those who do an academic writing course pre the course always do a lot lot better. even this biggest essay you did on the 3 (prob 3.3) is in no where comparable to the first essay you will do on an fd.

no you don't have to work in different placements for an fd because you need to be employed. your job WILL be your experience and the tutor will visit and you will make a work based portfolio and have a work based mentor in addition to all the essays.

if you want to be an eyes then its worth it BUT if you want to go up the ladder to management then a management course is far better and far more useful the ILM do great ones and often in colleges and of course cheaper! you could do ILM 3 then progress. they're work based so more relevant remember academic courses are about theory rarely practice first.

yes you have to top up, and if you're working you usually do it over 2 years so you are looking at 4 years minimum. Now with fees at 7 to 9 k a year this is a huge fee and like i said unless you want to be an eyes or do your PGCE at some point unnecessary.

BUT if you are academic of you like reading and believe me there is a huge amount of reading the book list i give for the first unit has 7 core books on it and lots more reading ( thats why we say i am reading maths or whatever) and if you can work to tight schedules it is fun, it has been fun but then again it has been 2k a year tops so worth it, at 7k i wouldn't do it.

you may get a bursary but these are being phased out as i believe EYPS will be one day, its a pointless qual, why do that when you can do a pace and earn really good money, eyes brings nothing but more responsibility. I'm rambling.

consider what do you want to do, teach manage lead? if its teach do your degree then your PGCE if its manage do an ILM course BUT remember the investment will come from you via student loans and thats a big mill stone but then everyone who goes to uni has them mine is huge!!!! the good news is tho if you stay in childcare you will rarely earn enough to have to pay it back, double edged good news.
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

cez1138 is on a distinguished road

hi, I have worked in childcare for 10 years, i am going straight in for a full honours degree in early years with open university. you can a full tuition loan to cover the costs and together with a dtlls qualification you can apply for qts. hope this helps xx
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

joaesch is on a distinguished road
Default Go for it

I have to disagree with TUTU, it is not a pointless qualification, as in most cases you need a FdA to progress!! Yes it is much different from level 3 with regards to the assignments ... But if you are prepared to do the reading and research you will be fine... Universities give you guidelines when you start on essay writing plus they hold plenty of mini tutorials to support all students...With regards to the pass rate, they give you three chances not just one!! If you fail once they offer extra support. They advise you to have a mentor which will help you through your studies. You will learn so much from the FdA it's definitely worth all the hard work.