Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

kell83 is on a distinguished road
Default help with planning

hey i have to do a written plan for a creative activity but dont know how to set out my planning,i am doin an activity on goldilocks where the children have to make up a bear face using paper plates i have brought different shades of brown felt,brown wool,pompoms and googly eyes for them to stick.
i have a planning sheet from work,but i am stuck on what to write for learning intentions and the bit where it says language/challenges/children. xx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell83 View Post
hey i have to do a written plan for a creative activity but dont know how to set out my planning,i am doin an activity on goldilocks where the children have to make up a bear face using paper plates i have brought different shades of brown felt,brown wool,pompoms and googly eyes for them to stick.
i have a planning sheet from work,but i am stuck on what to write for learning intentions and the bit where it says language/challenges/children. xx
Hi Kell,
You are clearly stuck as I helped you with this question the other day - and I don't blame you if you are not being helped at work. Does your manager know you are unsure? - if not, ask to go on a planning course - there are very often 3 & 6 week courses to help you feel confident in practice.

That aside, none of us know the children you are planning for - their ages, their stages, their dispositions, whether they are SEN, their particular interests or areas they need help in i.e. you may have a child who does not have a very long attention span, does not share and their language also needs to be encouraged.

You may decide to keep within the theme you are going to play a board game of Goldilocks (just using for an example), you are going to play along with this child and one other. With just you and the two children this gives you lots of opportunity to encourage language, questions, following intstructions. For learning to share you could allow the child to take a turn, then the 2nd child, then the 1st child again, then you etc , so that the child has a turn every other go whilst you and the other child are waiting your full turn. This helps keep that childs attention thus helping them to learn to share, built up their concentration and you are also encouraging their language whilst you talk through instructions etc.

So the learning intention for the above child was that you intended to help them progress in sharing, building up or extending their concentration and encouraging them to talk.

Your outcome was - did it work?
if so, what will you do next?
If it didn't work, why not?

Was it because there were too many objectives?
Was it a bit ambitious trying to do sharing, concentration and language all at once?
Could you or the child not keep up with too many things on the go and with distraction or interaction with the other child?

Your learning intentions do not have to be giant steps, just a tiny step is still progress i.e. the game went well and helped 'Jonny' learn to share. Next time, I will see if he can wait his turn every third time rather than roll the die every other go.

And don't forget if it doesn't work -it doesn't matter as long as you evaluate why it didn't work and what are you going to do about it next time to make it work?
You could simply write - the afternoon was not the best time to play a game 'Jonny' was tired.
What have you learn after reflecting?
To play the game when Jonny is eager to play when he arrives in the morning.

Now, whatever you have planned for your activities - what do you want the children to get out of it?
Your googly eyed bear mask you are making? -
will the children be using one-handed tools?
will they need hand-eye coordination?
Look at the skills needed to do the activities you have chosen and ask why have you chosen them? - was it to cover the learning intentions above or soemthing different?
You may have different reasons and different learning intentions for individual children.

I hope this helps. Try and read the EYFS pack, it really will help you. Google it to order your own copy by telephone or online if you do not have your own copy.
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:46 PM

thankyou you have helped so much,ive spoke to my manager tonite and also grabbed a copy of the eyfs,its all starting to come together now. i have only just started level 3 so thats y im nervous about getting it all right i think after my first assesment ill feel more confident with what im doing. are you doing level 3?x
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell83 View Post
thankyou you have helped so much,ive spoke to my manager tonite and also grabbed a copy of the eyfs,its all starting to come together now. i have only just started level 3 so thats y im nervous about getting it all right i think after my first assesment ill feel more confident with what im doing. are you doing level 3?x
I'm glad you've spoken to your manager as explaining something such as this down on paper is not easy - and you may have questions that I can't guess. No, I'm a manager with degree + eyp. You're right you'll feel better/confident the more you do anything. Ask your manager if she will spend some time with you (or all staff) where you can pick and pull apart a subject that you would like to understand more. Everyone on this site is here to help, but equally ( I hope) your manager will want to help you, after all her best resource is her staff.
Keep you planning and expectations simple and they'll be less to worry about.
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:17 AM

arh thats why u really know ur stuff well thankyou once again,im sure ill be posting something else im stuck on pretty soon lol x
Unread 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM

nettie is on a distinguished road

Hi just wondering if any one could help me with how there show were the children are at in development when starting the setting
e.g. starting points
we have the developments matters that we use for putting information on photo's etc
but have been told need something to show there starting points
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettie View Post
Hi just wondering if any one could help me with how there show were the children are at in development when starting the setting
e.g. starting points
we have the developments matters that we use for putting information on photo's etc
but have been told need something to show there starting points
Observations -you need to start by observing a child to know what to provide for a child; otherwise how else do you know what stage they are at now? their individual needs and what interests then?

You may need to do more than one observation, if you just do one 'snap shot' (short written observation) you will not build a picture up of the child.
You need to do at least a few short observations at different times of the day or session - that will show things such as how do they like to start the morning, do they get stuck straight in? or do they like to observe to see where everyone is, what are others doing etc.

Watching/observing a child at different times will show you what they like to do, some children like to start the session with a routine they have carved out themselves by going over to a certain area every morning such a quiet book corner where they can observe themselves until ready to do whatever, they may like to be close to an adult but still playing, or having a story read to them.

Your starting points will be from your observations; so from observing a child that has just started with you, you may have noticed that they need the reassurance of an adult, are happy to play on their own, alongside, or with other children. If you look at your efys pack (order one from teachernet if you haven't got one) you will be able to match it up with the stage they are at and the learning area. There you will find lots of suggestions for the next steps - but remember they are only just suggestions, so you can plan or adapt for each individual child. You may have observed a child has a particular schema (i.e.transportation, enveloping etc), so as you plan the next steps you can incorporate this into your planning.

As well as observing, having a good relationship and sharing information with parents will help the child and you. talk over things with colleagues, sometimes a different perspective can help, or they may have seen something you haven't and keep reading the eyfs book it will help you.