Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

shaz03 is on a distinguished road
Default element 302.1

can anybody help with what i need to write on this element
302.1-establish a healthy,safe and secure enviroment for children?
is it about policies and procedures we have in place or am i resding the question wrong??????
thanks in advance
Sxx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz03 View Post
can anybody help with what i need to write on this element
302.1-establish a healthy,safe and secure enviroment for children?
is it about policies and procedures we have in place or am i resding the question wrong??????
thanks in advance
Sxx
yes, your setting/nursery should have policies and procedures for this subject and how you go about providing healthy snacks/meals, healthy environment - how you clean everything, encourage children to wash hands, blow noses, adults/children to stay away from nursery if they are sick/ill to prevent the spread of germs.
Healthy, safe and secure environment - risk assessments, check outside for foreign bodies - disgarded needles, dog faeces, glass etc
making sure that the children are safe within the building and when playing outside, Do you take them out if chemicals are being spread on fields or there is a bonfire near by belching acrid smoke out?
- inside -locked (with fire doors), fire extinguishers/blankets, first aid kit, socket covers, access denied to kitchen. hygiene when storing and preparing food,making sure that children with allergies are catered for - whether it is a contact allergy or a food allergy; using hand driers or paper towels, liquid or antiseptic soap.

As well as all your policies and procedures, you can then implement this into the curriculum - to help children with personal hygiene, safety from adults who ask them to keep secrets, road safety, etc and risk when playing - i.e. climbing on furniture could result in them falling and hurting themselves, but by providing physical apparatus with safety mats will allow them to have an element of risk in their play etc.

I'm sure you can add lots more to these few starters, but looking at what your setting does should give you your answer and you may be able to contribute something to your procedures that no one had thought of before.
Unread 08-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

rak is on a distinguished road

Hey Heidi, thanks for the infor, was really get stuck here, so basically i need to read our policy and procedures and then do this unit?
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak View Post
Hey Heidi, thanks for the infor, was really get stuck here, so basically i need to read our policy and procedures and then do this unit?
I would have thought so. it would be pointless on your part if you wrote a fabulous piece of safety; for example you wrote that all your children safely played outdoors, but because you didn't have a policy or procedure/routine of checking and maintaining your fence, no one had bothered to have the huge hole in the side repaired - therefore there was a good chance that a child may wander off through it and you'd lost a child.

I know these seem like really obvious things and sometimes you may think it seems as if 'they' are preaching to people with 'no brains'; but if there is no policy or practice of carrying out procedures, things get overlooked, not done through time or staff shortage and no one knows who's responsible for what.

Start with your policies and that should help you with answering how you implement everything (and possibly more that I mentioned above); if as you are doing it, you see that your policy or procedure could do with an update, then mention it to your manager - it's beneficial to all and shows Ofsted that you are auditing them regularly.