Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
SarahLouisePoppins

Help SOS 306 - Planning the environment

Hi,
I could use another eye to look over some work I've written if someone could be so kind. Not sure if I have written enough and if there is anything else you think would be useful to add, I'd like to hear your ideas.
The write-up is for 306 - Plan and organise environments for children and families. I had an activity sheet where I was supposed to design the layout and environment of a nursery, but instead have decided it would be easier for me to write about how it is set up in the nursery I work at. Ok...well, here it is!

The manager has recently changed the layout of the ground floor Sunshine and Rainbow rooms. This was because we needed to incorporate an actual area for mathematical development into the rooms, in order to fully meet the curriculum.
I think that the move around has been a change for the better. The different areas of the rooms are now more clearly defined, still with sufficient space to move between them.
There are only a few negative points about the change. The tall shelving unit has been moved approximately half way into the Rainbow room, which is difficult to see behind at times, and is therefore not safe in my opinion. Secondly, we have a box of musical instruments that has been placed next to the book corner. It is not a very good idea to have noisy toys such as these right by the quiet area, although saying this, I do realise the difficulty in trying to perfectly place everything in the little space we have. I am trying to think a way around this though! We also have art racks, but they are situated in the Smiley room, where the children have their snack! I have suggested to the manager that they be removed from the walls and put into the Rainbow room instead, near the creative area. She agreed that this would be better.
The Rainbow room contains the messier activities, as it has an easy to clean floor, whereas the Sunshine room is carpeted. They are set out with the following types of activities:

Sunshine

- Construction
- Small world
- Maths
- Book corner
- Role play

Rainbow

- Sand & water trays
- Creative
- Malleable
- Office.

The space we have is very limited and to get around this, we often combine the areas. For example, role play can be taken into the garden (car wash, emergency services…etc) and small world or construction in the sand tray (toy people, animals, bricks…etc). This works very well.
All sections of the room support the 6 areas of learning. Some activities even cover more than one of these areas and at times, all of them. Below is a list of the 6 areas, with a couple of examples of types of activities, equipment and resources we provide to support the delivery of the curriculum.

PSED

• Role-play shop for social interaction.
- Till, toy/real money, purses, handbags, shopping baskets, empty (clean) food boxes, pricing labels…
Also linked to: CLL, PSRN & CD
• Bikes and scooters. We only have a few, so the children learn about sharing.
Also linked to: PD

CLL

• Water painting on walls in the garden.
- Pots of water and variety of sized brushes.
Also linked to: CD
• Alphabet puzzle.
Also linked to: PSED, PD

KUW

• Gardening.
- Seeds, rakes, trowels, watering can…
Also linked to: PSED, CLL, PSRN, PD
• Laptop use.
- The children like to go on Word and Paint, as well as playing on educational CD-ROMs.
Also linked to: PSED, CLL, PSRN, CD, PD

PSRN

• Cooking.
- Cookbooks, necessary ingredients and equipment (e.g. scales, jugs, bowls, spoons, rolling pins, pastry cutters…
Also linked to: PSED, CLL, KUW, CD, PD
• Board games.
- We have Snakes & Ladders, The Bear Hunt, Ladybirds…etc
Also liked to: PSED, CLL, PD

PD

• Scissor control
- Variety of scissors for all (right & left handed, ambidextrous, patterned, easy-use) and selection of paper/card to choose from.
Also linked to: CD
• Obstacle course.
- Hoops, tunnels, balancing beams, stepping stones, balls, bean bags…
Also linked to: PSED and when the children design their own, CD

CD

• Small world beach scene
- Sand & water trays, toy people, sea creatures, shells, pebbles, green cellophane for seaweed…
Also linked to: PSED, CLL
• Junk modelling
- Various boxes, cartons, plastic bottles, etc. No toilet roll for hygiene reasons and egg carton for contamination of salmonella. Glue & gluesticks, sellotape, selection of scissors. Pens, collage material, glitter etc for decoration.
Also linked to: PSED, PD

Apart from the safety issue with the shelving unit in the Rainbow room, I have no other concerns. The furniture is all stable and no chance of toppling over on the children or staff!! We have a variety of safety procedures in place:

• Fingerprint detection and locks on front and back doors,
• fire extinguishers,
• fire guards,
• door stoppers,
• cupboard locks,
• chemicals and medicines out of children’s reach,
• plug socket covers,
• safety gates,
• appropriate toys (meet standards, clean, not broken, no sharp edges or small pieces for when babies come downstairs to play).

A risk assessment book is filled in every morning by one of the opening-up members of staff to check the ground floor is safe. Also, cleaning ticklists are recorded at the end of the day to show that different areas of the rooms have been cleaned and prepared for the next day and by whom.
I feel that the environment is comforting and stimulating and this is done by:

• Welcome poster in entrance to building in different languages,
• personalised pegs,
• self-registration board (with own rockets made by the children),
• named trays,
• children’s artwork displayed in the rooms and corridor,
• relaxed area with comfortable chairs, cushions and music to be played if desired,
• wide range of toys, books and equipment, which is changed every now and again to stimulate interest.

There is plenty of choice in the nursery and we encourage independence a great deal. We are free-flow downstairs and the planning is pretty much child-led, based on the previous week’s observations. The toys and equipment are easily accessible to the children in boxes situated within the appropriate areas of the room. The art unit, however, is too tall and the children cannot reach the higher shelves to freely select the items from this area.
The book corner is our chill out, quieter area of the room, but because our space is so small, it is more difficult to separate noisy and quiet activities during play time. Therefore, we split the day into noisy and quiet times. The quieter times of the day, are as follows:

• Circle time (registration and small group activities),
• reflection time,
• story time,
• sleep or rest after lunch, with quiet toys (e.g. puzzles, drawing..) for those awake.

For physical activity, the chairs, tables and other furniture needs to be pushed back to give the children enough space to move. This can be done with ease.
It has not been necessary, as yet, to adapt the environment for a child in our care who has a disability. If a child came to our setting in a wheelchair, a lot of changes would need to be made. Here is a list of adaptations if this situation were to arise:

• All doors to be widened,
• ramps,
• lift or some other way to access the baby floor,
• create more space to move between activities,
• instead of floor toys, table top activities.

Thank you for your time.

Sarah Lou
x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

wow firstly love the familiar name you have for the sunshine room, do you have smilies in there or is it named because of being yellow?

A room plan would compliment wonderfully what you have written. Cut out furniture pieces would perhaps help in allowing you to see how the shelving unit could be moved to everyone's satisfaction.

Freecycle, and reclamation services or local office suppliers may be able to help with solutions for storage/book shelf or shelving units .. Office furniture reclaimed google search. Add your area onto the search term for more specific results - eg for Leeds, you could also see what businesses your county.gov.uk website has .. mobile shelving

The only thing I would possibly ask or add is how parents/famillies are invited into the rooms .. maybe how the office adapts for meetings, visits, dropping children off & picking up, providing information, reception/cloakroom area?

Fab write up, a huge well done , would be very interested to hear others views ..

Best wishes with it
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-29-2009, 07:38 PM
SarahLouisePoppins

Thank you very much for your help hun. That's fantastic!
Oh and we have a Smiley room too. The babies rooms are so cute: Bubbles & Cuddles, Winks & Tinks, Hugs 'n' Tugs awwwwwwwww
xx
Unread 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

angelpal is on a distinguished road
Whoop whoop - yayy fab account well done!

That is a fab write up and u have oodles of info there, i would have a tendency to write up quite a lot but i have been told my answer are brill but too long winded which i got wee bit annoyed at as i think to cover all that is needed u need to write lot 2 fit it in: Very well done hope you get good feedback xo
Unread 02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
SarahLouisePoppins

Thank you very much angelpal. I usually tend to write novels rather than just a paragraph which does take me sooooooo long, but glad now I'm coming to the end of the NVQ as I can cross reference a lot now, so am a happy bunny :) x
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

angelpal is on a distinguished road

How much more have u left to do? I won't get finished up till june jus given 303 las nite & am really poopin it duno were 2 start!!!!! Any way let us know how u get on & gud luck although i don't tink u'll have anythin 2 worry bout, u seem well on ure way!!! Gud luck girlie xoxo
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahLouisePoppins View Post
Thank you very much angelpal. I usually tend to write novels rather than just a paragraph which does take me sooooooo long, but glad now I'm coming to the end of the NVQ as I can cross reference a lot now, so am a happy bunny :) x
Hi

That was going to be my comment - you have loads of evidence here to use as x-ref to other units.

A wow factor piece of work - I really liked the why you used 'I' so your assessor could see your involvement. Also the way you explained further solutions to problems.

On reflection some great evidence here for 304.

A very big well done
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:03 AM
SarahLouisePoppins

Thanks for all your comments, is so lovely to hear :) When writing I wasn't sure how it sounded and needed another eye on it which is always very helpful and this gave me a big boost. Well, finally finished my level 3 and can relax now. Just waiting for the certificates.
How are you getting on Angel? 303 was a nightmare for me too, especially the long knowledge on child development.
Thanks again everyone xx
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Big well done & many congratulations enjoy the certificate when it gets to you xx
the cost of ad blockers