Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

busybee is on a distinguished road
A1 Assessors award

I am currently coming to the end of completing my nvq 3 ccld and i would really like to do my A1 award, i just wondered how u go about doing it, i did speak to my tutor when attending college and she said i needed 3 yrs experience in early years,( I have run a toddler group for 3 yrs and worked in afterschool club and preschool settings)i have now finished attending college and my own assessor is working towards her award using myself as her candidate.she got the job as friend of tutor at college and they were desperate for assessors. I just wondered how you get to train as an assessor when you need candidates to complete the course, surely u are not going to be taken on by a college to train as assessor unless u have something else to offer such as teaching experience.
How do i find out?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

I'm doing my assessor award through a college.

I had two options
a) paying £650 to do the course,
or
b) do it for free on the condition I assess two candidates for the college

so you can guess which one I'm doing!!.

I have no teaching experience, but I am doing the foundation degree - however we do have (most) assessors with L3 NVQs. One thing I will add is that our Assessor tutor (this cover's ALL NVQs, not just childcare) did say she prefers her students (us) to have had a couple of years at level 3 before becoming a assessor although many (most)of my group have only just passed theirs. As a trainnee I'm pretty much left to just get on with it myself + a mentor...... we just have to attend 3 (? offhand) training sessions, and complete a portfolio of evidence- which is all new to me as I've never done an NVQ myself!!!
Sorry not really explained it very well :(
Unread 08-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

busybee is on a distinguished road

Did u just decide u wanted to do ur assessors award and contact local college and took it from there or do u need to do it for you foundation degree/
Unread 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM

No.. I just sat in class one day and said I'd like to earn some extra money and I was 'jumped' by tutor!!!
(I used to work in full daycare- now I only do mornings term-time)

I would contact your local college and ask - ours was desperate..... did you do the NVQ through them? if so, then they'll already know the standard of your work. Give them a ring -- nothing to lose. Good-luck xx
xxx
Unread 08-19-2007, 10:55 PM

something I've just thought of though.... if you ask now..it's coming up to start of new academic year and '***s on seats' time. (I used to work in a college, and fe colleges have to secure funding too!!) and they may try and get you to enrol as a proper student..paying to do the award.... If you can wait a couple of weeks you might get a better deal.
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Mrsb is on a distinguished road

Hi, have just completed my A1 assessors award. I have 4 years experience in childcare, NVQ level 3 but no teaching experience. I am doing in-house assessing using 2 candidates from my setting. I was told that I had to have a level 2 & level 3 candidate.

Now I'm qualified I can't seem to get any other information about doing assessing apart from in-house which is very handing but I would also like to use this qualification to it's best advantage!!! Not sure which way to go now...have asked college but they just sem to say you have to wait for a vacancy......I was under the impression that they were crying out for assessors.