Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

TeamofThree is on a distinguished road
Default Cooking for an extreme environments theme?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some ideas and suggestions

I work as a 1to1

I get to cook once a week with her and like to try and cover different types of dishes related to topic (so not just cakes every week!)
we had great fun last term living on rations and cooking some World War 2 recipes.

The term before was amazing as we got to try out all sorts of Greek dishes (ok so maybe they weren't all ANCIENT Greek, but they were tasty )

so next term is Extreme Environment

Help!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, interesting topic! What learning are you hoping the children take away from it as you my find it easier to link to recipes and foods through that xx

Possible ideas

Hot/tropical - recipes involving cacao, banana, mango, oranges, pineapple, spices such as curry, chilli, cinnamon

Cold/arctic - icecream, sorbet, mint,

Wet/oceans/flood plains - seaweed, rice, soup, stew, smoothies,

Dry/arid/desert - crackers, biscuits, local recipes using hallumi and for- falafel,

Mountainous/high/hills - grapes, tea, grain amaranth,

Lowlands/flat - daffodils! maize - cornflakes, popcorn, sweetcorn recipes

If wanted you could also include foods that have been grown in space - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plants...grown_in_space

Hope this helps a little xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

TeamofThree is on a distinguished road

Hi
thanks for your reply
I know this probably sounds wrong, but the child I work with won't be taking much away from the topic in general (ancient greece, world war 2 both this year she couldn't engage with) the only bit she can relate to is food, we are year 5 (back yeared) but we go to year 3 for occassional maths and she struggles with that.

sounds stupid, but just needed someone to say think about the countries that the environments are in, got my thinking hat back on, think that the teacher is starting with jungles, but she hadn't planned anything last time i spoke to her so will have to be quick thinking again