Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Kaz83 is on a distinguished road
Default What course would be best? confused, please help

I have just completed a Level 3 teaching assistant course and have been wroking in a primary school with year 5 & 6 but also would like to work with foundation and year 1. Would it benefit me to do the higher level teaching assistant course or because i want to have a go working with foundation and year 1 would the early years course be the one i need or will the hlta course cover me for that aswell?

Thanks x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

teaching courses teach nothing about early years which is often why teachers are so bad at it. you dont have a license to practice so i would suggest you do the level 3 and get it and the teaching that will benefit you
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Kaz83 is on a distinguished road

I have already done the level 3 teaching assitant but wasn't sure if this covered me to work with early years or i'd have to do an early years course or carry on to do the hlta course.
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

LKP is on a distinguished road

Hi,
From my understanding the HLTA course teaches you how to teach a class and cover a lesson, so planning, paper work etc
It may benefit you to get some experience in the early years and KS1 curriculum if those are the lessons you would be planning to cover but I don't think it's necessary to have a qualification in early years to do so.
I may be wrong, enquire about this at your setting and see what they suggest. It may also be you learn more about early years as you go along when you actually do they course and be observed covering the class.

Sorry edit because I reread what you was asking, the teaching assistant course should put you in right for the job you want to do (TA), it is more about experience and adapting what you have learnt but with younger children. It may be completely different in reception/foundation s2 classes as they follow the EYFS but again if you enquire and ask for experience with that age group it should be ok.

Last edited by LKP : 04-18-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: re read question