Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 06-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

bookpixie is on a distinguished road
General question policy/procedure,mastery play and development!

Hi I was wondering if anyone could hep i was looking at my NVQ folder feedback and to help fill in the gaps that were not covered by reflection direct observation etc my assessor gave me some questions to look into I was wondering if any of you had any ideas!

*how do you develop policy/procedure for play and social activities

*how could you provide for mastery play (i had already given a reflection on this previously but it wasn't enough risk involved, I explained that as I was in a hospital environment that my kids are unwell in some form and are not up for playing rough or for long periods of time so observing them managing risk is pretty slim )

*how does age/stage of development impact on:
children's rights
health &safety
how we communicate & behave with children
how we interact/behave with each other
lifestyle/nutrition/risks to health
common illnesses

any help would be great would be appreciated!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, not sure if this helps ..

*how do you develop policy/procedure for play and social activities
Obtain feedback, source creditable information, look for ideas & knowledgeable suggestions.
Search other NHS, trust & PCT websites for information on their children's wards and services & see what's in place

*how could you provide for mastery play.
I'd challenge what you say for this a little sorry, play isn't necessarily rough or based on duration, all it is is freely chosen. All children are up for play if the opportunity is there - the environment and responses to conditions medical, physical & emotional may unintentionally suppress the ability for a Child to express or show a need/want for different types of play - from freedom to play: play types

The words rough and boisterous are what can be hugely individual - what is rough & tumble boisterous to one, uncontrollable giggling will be boisterous/rough to another - length of play is also very unique.

The main consideration in your circumstances would possibly be the welfare of others so understanding & knowing that quiet & calm in respect of other patients may be a priority or expectation - organising the environment/places/resources for play could be ongoing for your policy making.

Mastery from free dictionary, I understand mastery of play to be in the abilities to perform/coordinate physical and cognitive activities at the same time - cognition having complete competence in the physical task and relative competence in the simultaneous or in parallel activity - open to correction though as mine's still in development lol.

Adjusting or applying a bandage whilst talking to another.
Operating a tap whilst filling a glass.
Holding a book and looking at the pages of content - pop ups are good
Holding a book and turning a page.
Holding a shape sorter whilst putting in the pieces.
Standing in a doorway and analysing what could be done with what's in front of you.
Dressing in a lab coat and knowing where hands and arms go ..
Putting on/wearing and using a stethoscope.
Positioning a scrunched up paper ball, aiming and throwing it at a paper bin - complete mastery would be getting it in
Holding a rope, swinging, jumping, landing where intended - may or may not involve pretending to be a superhero.
Hold a telephone to the ear and talk.
Hold a clipboard/medical notes and mark make own thoughts/imaginative play.
Grasp a rattle/instrument whilst shaking it.
Holding and role playing/manoeuvring small figures whilst taking on a character - assimilation and vocalising/animating what's happening ..
Mastery of play in swimming - over arm, front crawl & remembering how to breath.
Driving a car, operating gears/brakes and not running anyone over.
Holding a nail and masterfully hammering it into place.
Actions of building, making towers - interlocking bricks, cogs,

Providing easy access to cupboards & shelves of resources/toys will help you assess a child's individual confidence in their mastery of play - if they approach and play freely from the resources on offer they may already be confident in how they view play and have a high level of mastery over or within it - any lack of mastery may be connected to the control that adults or others have over it in preventing a child's play or persuading them from it.

Search for mastery in this document - types of play from Hillgrove high school Georgia USA.
It looks at skill mastery rather than mastery play - but is sort of the same thing .. it's what puts mastery in place ..
Quote:
Skill Mastery Play
This type of play occurs when a child learns or is beginning to learn a new skill.

The child will continue to repeat the new skill over and over and over. Some examples of skill mastery play are rolling down a hill, riding a bike, skating, etc.

A child will engage in the same play activity for hours. This allows for several developmental processes to take place.

First, the child is mastering or perfecting a skill.

Secondly, as the child is in the process of mastering the skill, he/she recognizes his/her progress and feels a sense of accomplishment. This builds self-esteem.
You could provide medical kit items play & real for exploration.
Syringes, bandages, bowls, plasters & pads, measures & spoons, slings, clips, soft toys, dolls and action figures.

This is an excellent image for showing what mastery in play & hospitals can look like - it demonstates how the child knows exactly what a stethoscope does, how it goes and what it might mean - Playonwords The managing risk element is how the child sees the stethoscope: does it threaten them - will it hurt or not, a playworkers honest reassurance and the child's actual experience will both have a bearing on play in the future and how the child reacts in additional/similar situations ..

Hope this helps with a few gaps
xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

bookpixie is on a distinguished road
Smile

thankyou this was really helpful! its nice to talk to someone who knows their stuff :teacher:my tutor knows about as much as i do on hospital playwork as its her first time assesing this course! so please challenge me!