Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lewis is on a distinguished road
Default Out of School Activities

I've been getting quite stuck coming up with things to interest the children in our after-school club; they are getting rather bored of drawing pictures before tea, and at the minute there's not much chance of going outside for long! it's not the fact i can't be bothered to plan, but i've got the nursery children to plan for aswell!
Has anyone got any ideas for activities to do with the children? Lately i've been making cookies and things like that, but it's getting rather dull

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

suewhit is on a distinguished road

can they help with the planning? we find they are good at suggestions most of them can come up with something that is suitable. ours also make suggestions for equipment .
sue
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

I agree with Sue. We do our planning daily which allows the children to contribute, we are encouraging them to come and say if they want something out and we make a big deal of taking them to planning sheet and writing it or geting them to write it down for the session they are next in so they know they can be involved. some times i have a blank sheet the day before and have to say the children ... what do you want to play with tommorrow, it's a work in progress but i believe that is the way to go.
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

flipflop is on a distinguished road
Biggrin ideas

We have activity sheets with happy faces on them and evaluation sheets at the back so you can check further down the line if it was not successful or not. It's important you tell the truth if there was any problems as it is reflecting on practise. The children take part in choosing what they want although we do help by giving them plenty to choose from. For example, table games seasonal quizes, bingo, lego, dvd, seasonal freize, chalk pictures, charcoal pictures, pool, organising and shopping for their own snack and giving them supervised independence in the shops. Preparing snack washing dishes and general cleaning if they want to of course. We also get the children to take part in making home made soup or spag bolognese.
Hope this has helped a wee bit.