Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships Early Years interviews, appraisals, building partnerships with parents, carers and your local extended community. Share ideas to help support staff in working together and in identifying stakeholders. Please use this forum to discuss solutions, problem solving and linking experiences ...

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

playworker is on a distinguished road
Default Help re relationship with manager

Hi

I have been a reader of this site for a while but have never posted.

I have been in childcare for a number of years and worked with a number of different managers, but now have a bit of a problem.

We are a fairly large preschool which is run by a commitee of parents. We have 6 members of staff and a supervisor.

We all get on well as a team most of the time, but our supervisor can be fairly overpowering and has very strong ideas and expects us to work to her ways all of the time. When we have staff meetings anything discussed usually ends up with her way being adopted. She also has a really annoying way of talking to us like we are 3 years old, and quite often will make comments about the way we have done things ( or not done them) in a really patronising way, and this is quite often in front of other members of staff while we are setting up.

Most of the time, she is fantastic and the preschool is all the better for her being there, but her manner has upset quite a few of us.

The problem is we cannot go to the commitee as we normally would as the new chair is her best frined! Is this allowed and if so where or who do we go to, or do we just put up with it?

Thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome, do you have anyone that can help mediate? If you have a family member with a lending ear, sometimes just having the ability to vent to someone completely unconnected with the group helps to collect thoughts on everything, although the problems will still exist and you have to consider confidentiality/potential consequences of disclosing discontent. If it's serious enough you need to confide in an independant - head of school/year or coordinator with enough interest to support you in matters of Early years. Explain that you feel your ideas and views are being under valued and perhaps see if you can ask at the next meeting for a rota for planning, or for individual rotational areas of responsibility?

Suggest team training/workshops to your committee - I'm not sure what's available but maybe check with your local .gov.uk website & EYs dept and ask about titles such as 'positive relationships within Early years settings' 'Staff involvement' 'planning together' or anything that helps build on everyone being able to communicate and contribute equally.

Whatever happens, very best wishes, it's a rotten situation to find yourself in xx

Keep in touch
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
faeryjo

This happened to me in a school setting, and I went off work with stress and depression.
I hope you get things sorted as soon as possible. I know what it is like to work with someone like that, and it's really not nice.

all the best

Jo xx
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

playworker is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replies, I don't think we can ask someone to mediate, as this will just make our working conditions worse. This week has been terrible, just need to turn the other cheek I think.
Unread 06-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

hi, i had a similar problem and i went to our development worker.......who then went to her boss who gave me advise on how to handle the situation.

they turned up for a chat which they do occasionally so the manager wasnt suspicious and they then asked all staff if there were any problems......it was just a general chat but helped clear the air and the manager didnt realise anyone was upset with her manner but took on board what was said by the dw etc
hope this helps
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

janeb is on a distinguished road

Great idea Farleys :rotfl: