Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

bec2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Visual/Tactile display with positive images

Hello, I need a little help (again) I have to do a visual/tactile display with the children and include positive images, my assessor has suggested using Divali as a theme, if I did this how would I get positive images in would just putting images of hindu children celebrating be enough or would I have to try and find images of children from other cultures and abilities celebrating Divali for this to count? Hopefully you see what I mean, I've managed to tie myself in a knot! Thanks x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

How would you know whether they were hindu or not - white, black etc can be hindu, unless you are conforming to stereotypes. I'd say images of any people enjoying the festivities - having mendi patterns done, making rangoli patterns, some Divas the children have made. Could you get a burka or other clothing for children to try on and feel the material and enjoy the unusual twinkly threading
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM

I have tried searching but all the images I get are stereotypical, I did mean to say that in the original post, I have got an indian boys outfit that my son had for a school play, it's a bit big but they could still feel it and it has got the threading it's just I can't find any images.
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Do you have any books you could use as part of the display? Have you looked on Amazon? You could find pictures of mendhi and rangoli patterns and children could make masks of rama and sita and decorate elephant outlines with sequins and things for the rest of the display if you can't find nice pictures
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

and you could use coloured sand or coloured rice to decorate the rangoli patterens to display..
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM

lentils and rice are good too
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Right so far, I have a parent who is going to lend me some child sized Sari's that they can touch and feel and even put on if they wish, Moonpig do cards so I will send one to the nursery and I've also found some colouring in ones which I will get my children to colour and write in and then take in (I know ofsted don't like colouring in) I'm going to do a rangoli pattern and get the children to paint some bodies different colors which we can then stick sari's and the boys outfit (name has escaped me at the moment) onto. I am going to the library for some books tomorrow and thought I could put these on the display along with Diva's that the children have made. I am still struggling with the positive images, I've got my fingers crossed that there will be some in the books but if not does anyone have any ideas where I can find some? Thank you x
Unread 09-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, remember positive images are all about promoting the good of something, it doesn't have to be of people or pictures in print specifically.. having read what you've already planned is giving a hugely positive image on here!! Do you have a camera or scanner? Maybe you could take photos of the Sari's hanging up, of the divas the Children have already made and of the rangoli patterns you're hoping to do and then build up the display together. Use the space you have available and add a poster with text & images to explain what Diwali is and how you have all enjoyed finding out about it .. if possible take more photos of the finished area to add to your own or your settings portfolio xx

Sari and other clothing outlines for multicultural craft and mark making activities
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-17-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
Hi, remember positive images are all about promoting the good of something, it doesn't have to be of people or pictures in print specifically.. having read what you've already planned is giving a hugely positive image on here!! Do you have a camera or scanner? Maybe you could take photos of the Sari's hanging up, of the divas the Children have already made and of the rangoli patterns you're hoping to do and then build up the display together. Use the space you have available and add a poster with text & images to explain what Diwali is and how you have all enjoyed finding out about it .. if possible take more photos of the finished area to add to your own or your settings portfolio xx
Thanks for that I feel so much better now, I was starting to think I was going to have to do something else and loose all the time I have spent on this, but what you said makes perfect sense x
Unread 10-09-2009, 04:50 PM

chezz2207 is on a distinguished road

for this part of my level 2 i had a multi culture day. i got shildren ti take things in from different cultures including there own and had a display table then i done a display on there own culture. i my case that was scotland. so they made flags, decorated tartan etc. but if english you could just use things within that culture. i then also had a small discussion with the children on people with different skin tones and also those that are disabled. this wa easier than focussing on one. the children were young but i feel they gained alot from this.

positive images - people in wheelchair playing sports etc.

hope this helps you a little