Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi Cabin, welcome to Silkysteps

Sounds like you have a pretty full timetable as well

Enjoy yourself here ..
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Muggy

Well, hello!!

HELLO cybersis! Nice to meet you!!

Can I ask your opinion .... IS it worth it - I mean the FD? What do you plan to do at the end of it?

Its good to know someone is in the same position as me.

I hate making decisions (as I think I have said) and I have to do this all the time in my job, and the builders keep asking me things like where do I want radiators, stud walls etc and which way do you want this door to open!!!!!!?!?!?!! Silly I know, but I find it so hard to make decisions, I have to weigh up every single 'pro' and 'con' going and like to think things through! And there just ain't enough time for that!!!!
Unread 02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Doing the FD was something I've been thinking about for a while- like you I couldn't decide, then suddenly out of the blue our setting closed (they wanted the room back! anyhow I took 'it', (and the redundancy money!) as a sign.. and I now have to say my life's changed totally...

What put me of doing it for a long time was the fact I worked in full-day care full time (I was the manager) it was a small 26pl 2-5 year olds and I couldn't face doing course work as well, also I would have needed to do it over a longer period. But once my situation changed, I found a localish college that offered it over 2 years, and to cover the work based part I have taken a job as Deputy at a local Pre-school (after a dodgy start elswhere) and love it!! We're actually classed as full-time students at uni - but are only class based two evening a week 4.30 - 8-30, there's a lot of work but most of it is 'relevant' to the setting -which make it more interesting and directly links to how you carry out your practice (if you understand my meaning!)

As for what I'm going to do at the end of it....... can't decide!!!!!!!!

What's happened to me over the last few months has given me a lot to reflect on- I've had a really horrendous expirence in a full day-care chain - in which I witnessed things I certainly wouldn't want any child going through, what was happening was due to such poor training and the staffs complete lack of understanding of children's needs .......... that I think I might consider moving into the training side of childcare.

Anyway...due to my complete lack of decision -making skills, by the time I left college last night..... somehow or other ...(after a career development discussion with tutor) I now appear have signed myself up for.... an A1 Assessor course!!!!!!!! So It looks like I've started exploring the
training route already then!!!!
Unread 02-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Muggy

Biggrin !!!

I thought about doing the A1 assessor course too! :reading:

I also worked in a private nursery a year ago, and was, too, astounded by the staffs (and management, I hasten to add) poor knowledge of childcare, the way they were with the children, and since then have said I would never choose to put any children in daycare because of my experience there.

(Just for the record, I am sure there are many very good day nurseries - I am not downing all of them - but the one I worked in did not show them in a good light unfortunately! )

It certainly sounds as though you're enjoying the FD, linking it to your practice, etc. You have replanted the seed of thought in my mind now ready for this coming September. I have checked and our local college runs it, one day a week from 1pm til 9pm every Tuesday, for two years. Hmmm....

Best of luck in your future studies. Keep us updated as to how you are getting on. xxx
Unread 02-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

you too! let us know how you get on.. I know a lot do the degree through the OU, but I've found the support from the others invaluable..if any of us on a low(and we've all had moments) the others support us, and I've made really good friends already.

Must admit it was managment in my daycare place - I have to say the staff just did what they were told and never questioned anything, and, as most were untrained....well you can imagine!

c xxx