Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Jayne

Default Teaching Assistant

Hi,

I have seen a job as a teaching assistant at a little school that I fancy doing, but I have no idea what qualifications they would want or if I would be what they are looking for. I'm a bit nervous to apply, as i've been self employed for about 15 years now.

So, any teachers helpers on here to give me some hints and tips on what I should study or research to be in with a chance of getting an interview.

Thank You.

Jayne

PS. Also, is it still OK from a health and safety point of view to still give kids aeroplanes?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

lol, I've moved this to the lounge.

Do you know anyone at the school so that you can pop in and pick up an application form, get a feel for the School.. and then ask lots of questions

Health & Safety .. how big are the areoplanes you'd be giving to the children ?? lol
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Jayne

I don't know anyone at the school, it's a bit out of my area, i'll need to drive there. I'm going to post for an application forum, but just wondered what exactly a teaching assistant does and how it is different from those, one on one assistants, like my sister is?

Jayne :)

PS. Boeing 747s
Unread 11-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

I'm hoping someone will be along to answer your question.

Your sister may be a TA .. depends on what responsibilities are given, do you know what her Job title is ?

Ps .. yes, you might find there's a tiny health & safety issue
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Jayne

Well i've done my CV and a letter, I have sent that and said if it's not ok to send an application form and I enclosed a SAE. Now I've got butterflies already and wondered if i've done the right thing. I've not had a proper job in over 15 years and i'll probably wee myself if I get an interview.

Jayne

Bummer about the aeroplanes. Guess that rules out wedgies and Chinese burns then too?
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Hi Jayne
With your sense of humour you will do just fine as a TA

The primary role of a Teaching Assistant is to enable access to the curriculum and to facilitate independent learning, and to promote inclusion.

This may be with pupils who have learning difficulties, pupils with a physical disability, and pupils with a visual or hearing impairment, pupils with communication problems or pupils experiencing behavioral difficulties.

This link might help:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholesc...ssistants/faq/

Air
x
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Jayne

Thank You so much for the link Air, that's just what I need to research for the position.

I have a chemical health and safety certificate, so if any of the kids leak, I know to put them onto drip trays or fume cupboards, depending on the spillage

I think i'll enjoy helping the tiggy-winkles, bet it's going to be fun. Fingers crossed I get an interview.

Jayne
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

omg .. ROFL absolutely lost for words !!!
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Jayne

Oh I've seen a better ad in the paper now and the jobs for a SEA (which I had to look up). Therefore with my stealth like brain I think I am perfect for the job and It doesn't matter if i'm rubbish at spelling long words, as they can learn that in the middle school. Plus I do great cuddles

I'm getting quite excited now.

Jayne
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Jayne

PS.. Just had a thought Ruth, if I get the job, i'll be living on this forum for help and advice, so we had better get it filled up ready.

Jayne :)