Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Jacqui

Unit 202

Hi I am new here, this forum is fantastic and so much help. Hopefully someone can help me. I need some ideas about Child protection. My questions are how to help children become:

more aware of their bodies
protect themselves
ensure their rights not to be abused

THen i need to recommend a story that i could read to the children (in my case aged 3 to 5) that would help to discuss being safe?

I am really struggling with this and spent hours on the interent last night but still cant find what i need. The only books I couldfind were about Bullying but I am not sure if this is what i need?

Any help would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Jacqui
xx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

akel1111 is on a distinguished road

A good activity to use (with parental permission) is to draw and cut out gingerbread man shapes. Then ask the children to colour in or mark with red crayon where they don't like being touched and green where they don't mind. I have used this many times and children will often mark their underpants area, feet (tickly!) in red. This is a springboard to gentle discussion on innapropriate touching. I will say to the children , "If you don't like someone touching you then it is OK to shout NO!. and tell Mummy ". This allows children to assert themselves and be aware of their ownership of their own bodies.

Also look at the NSPCC Stay Safe Code.

Hope this helps
Ann
Unread 06-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Jacqui

Thanks Ann, that is a great idea

Jacqui
xx
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

dolphiniumblue is on a distinguished road

Books on bullying are fine because this a form of abuse.I got this covered in an observation by playing a game of simple simon with the children and pointing out to them that it was only ok for them to touch their own body parts and no one elses.Hope this helps.
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

dmkent is on a distinguished road

hi Jacqui im doing the same as you but i work with 1 to 2 and im stuck as well
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
Hi I am new here, this forum is fantastic and so much help. Hopefully someone can help me. I need some ideas about Child protection. My questions are how to help children become:

more aware of their bodies
protect themselves
ensure their rights not to be abused

THen i need to recommend a story that i could read to the children (in my case aged 3 to 5) that would help to discuss being safe?

I am really struggling with this and spent hours on the interent last night but still cant find what i need. The only books I couldfind were about Bullying but I am not sure if this is what i need?

Any help would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Jacqui
xx

Hi,
I'm going to paste an old answer that I gave to someone who asked about about safe guarding children and a suitable story that cold be used to help them. I hope this helps for part of your question.

Some of the old fables and stories help get messages such as these across such as reading Golidlocks - the dangers of entering/going off to somewhere they shouldn't, and then you could discuss sensitively (without fightening them) why they should always stay close to their parents/carers and what could happen if they didn't, because like Goldilocks she didn't know if they were 'safe' to be around so she ran all the way home., but best not to go off with someone or go off somewhere without your parent/carer.

Also to safeguard them against dangers such as fire - you could talk about birthday cakes and candles - how we use fire to celebrate for birthdays, fireworks etc, again explain why only adults use and keep matches - fire is dangerous and people die in fires. You could then talk of people keeping them safe - their parents not wanting them to wander off and get lost and the consequences that might befall them. That a policeman or woman look our for everone making sure everyone is safe.

You could talk of the firefighters doing an extremely important job if there is a fire, but it is also dangerous for them, that's why they wear special uniforms, masks etc, so even adults have to be careful if they are having barbeques etc as fires in the wrong places can be very dangerous.

You could then talk about safeguarding themselves in the house - dangers such as pans boiling on the stove, electrical sockets are only for electrical appliances. Why they should safeguard themselves, stay away from these dangers and more importantly when they are young always be with their parent/carers.

I hope this does for a starter for you.
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Jacqui

Thanks so much for your answers, they have been a great help