Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 08-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Greenfrog94 is on a distinguished road
Default In a Dilemma

Hi, my name is Lucie,

I am coming to the end of my level 3, I have until October to get the last bits finished. However, a situation has risen at my workplace, my workplace is in a bad financial situation at the moment, to the point where the committee is planning 1 or 2 redundancies.

Staff have individually had a meeting with the committee at different points before the summer holidays, however we left for the summer none the wiser of what their plans were. I received a letter this morning detailing their proposal, they are planning on making 2 members of staff redundant, whilst cutting hours of all staff who remain.

There is no guarantee that I will be kept on as I may be made redundant, the committee are keeping their cards well hidden from all staff. We won't know anything until we go back in September. I currently work 32.5 hours a week, if they keep me on as a member of staff, my hours a week will be reduced to either 12 or 9 hours. This means a drastic drop in my wages.

So this means I have a lot of things to consider, I really do love working my job, I have close relationships with all children, families and my colleagues, however, I'm only human and there's a limit. What I need to know is, in order to finish my 3 do I need to be working in a childcare setting, or can I be working somewhere else? I'm looking at it from a point of view where I am the youngest in the workplace, and not to be rude to my colleagues, it is easier for me to find another job than it is for them. I have two options, I can see who they pick to stay and go from there, or when I go back I can tell them that I wish to resign.

In the mean time I am looking at other jobs, not necessarily in childcare, I'm really interested in work at the hospital, and there are many openings. As my main ambition in life is to become a paramedic, gaining experience in the hospital and working first hand with patients is something that can get me there. My parents and one of my managers have told me to at least apply for other jobs, but I don't want to make any drastic decisions encase a new job jeopardises my level 3.

Because no matter what I decide, the NVQ's made me and it is always something good to have.
P.S: I have sent a copy of this to my assessor, but being the holidays i'm not sure if she is busy so I thought I might try on here.

Any advice will be great, Thanks!

-----------------------------------------