Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 08-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

CocoBean is on a distinguished road
Default Equality and Diversity - HELP PLEASE

Hey guys, this is my next asssignment and I have a mass mental block!
Any help would be much appreciated
Equality and Diversity 303 K209 305 K235,236,237,238,239,241,243

Look at the following groups and identify:

A. What, if any, discrimination they may be exposed to and the effect this may have

B. What difficulties they may experience in accessing childcare provisions

C. How their development may be influenced by their condition/circumstances

D. How you could support them to overcome any barriers to learning

Groups:
A 3 year old child with Downs Syndrome
A 7 year old who is experiencing domestic violence at home
A 14 year old who is from a poor and deprived background

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

It may be easier to imagine you are the mother of the first and think of what others may think or treat your child or family:

A. 3 year old child with downs syndrome

Do adults speak openly with the parent as they take their child to a pre-school setting or do they avoid as they 'don't want to get involved?'
How do the children in the setting treat that child?
Practitoners should treat all children equally and with respect and explain to the children we are all the same but different, by talking or reading a story. have positive images of children with Downs syndrome in books, etc. Some children may be afraid as SEN children have no idea of facial expressions, they are often very tactile and have no understanding of personal space, stay close to the sen child until thye are familiar with everyone and routines as it is understandable if you are not on hand and a SEN child nearly throttles another child - the other child is frightened and you have the child ( and then a parent) to see to. It is wise to help all children to elp themselves by explaining the new child may be tall, but they are still 'small' and learning and if they go too near or go to touch them they must hold their hand up and say NO! firmly. This allows a child to be in control of what may happen to them - even though the setting should always ensure this doesn't happen - better to be safe making sure you have all children's safety at heart.

Is the setting confident and trained to help this child to progress? Some settings may not be willing to accept this child. Their experience, outside support and training will help the child to progress, if not the child may not progress. They should all have an equality and inclusion policy, but if they are not trained or feel overwhelmed by what is expected of them, is this good for the child?
Are they welcoming to the child and their family? How can you do this?
Have they help from outside agencies? How do you go about getting this? - Early years or your advisory teacher or Area senco a good start.
Are they keeping the parents fully involved and informed? Do you have daily informal chats to the parents and regular meetings?

How do you support them to overcome barriers to learning?
Talking to the parents, asking them and other agencies a child with Downs syndrome may have the area senco, health visitor, the portage worker, the speech therapist etc and implementing and IEP
Observing, recording and monitoring and providing them with learning opportunities to include their interests.
By showing patience and kindness, but being firm at the same time, very often with a SEN child can not read facial expressions, so you have to make yourself understoodvisually as well as verbal, get down to their level; they need to know when you mean no- they can easily put themselves in danger - they very often have more advanced physical than cognitive skills. They think nothing of climbing a frame and not worry of falling off. You must watch them, but you must also allow them to experiment and explore to progress.
By regular meetings with all concerned in that child's learning will help them to progress.

Try and imagine you are either the parents or that child in the other two and use the above as an example and adapt. I hope this gets you started.
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Do you know, you are right! I experienced it first hand today when I had a parent walk into our setting whilst I was working and break down crying as she has a little boy with down syndrome and every pre-school she has approached in the area has not responded to her pleas.
Thank you so so much, I just had mental block!
You're an angel!
Unread 08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoBean View Post
Do you know, you are right! I experienced it first hand today when I had a parent walk into our setting whilst I was working and break down crying as she has a little boy with down syndrome and every pre-school she has approached in the area has not responded to her pleas.
Thank you so so much, I just had mental block!
You're an angel!
I have experienced exactly that myself - also with a child with Down's syndrome. Parents of other sen children have found us after their child 's (often on the autistic spectrum) experience has not been a happy one for them all. Hopefully, with practitioners such as yourself coming through, there will be more us who understand and welcome all children. There is plenty of help for settings to tap into and it is so rewarding helping any child progress and gives that parent a little bit of respite. These parents need help and cooperation, not just admiration and their child needs learning and social opportunities amongst other children.
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:00 PM

It's true....and it defo makes me more determined! I am loving doing this course so so much and learning so much every day! Just keep panicking as I have just started my NVQ3 4 weeks ago and have to be finished by Feb so dont have time for any mental blocks! Have done 4 assignments so far and am worried about slowing down because of mental block!
We are currently moving premises and I am the treasurer of our pre-school committee and have just started working at the pre-school and have 3 children of my own too! Life is just soooooooooooooooo hectic right now!