Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Assessor & tutor forum

Assessor & tutor forum Continuing professional development. This forum is openly available to all looking for help and information on the A1 - Assessor Award. Supporting CYPW CCLD NVQ candidates and others undertaking professional qualification.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

markysgirl is on a distinguished road
Default obs

hi, im currently training to do my a1. does anyone know if students can observe children to put in their portfolios and then i can mark this as a work product. its for supporting childrens development (cant remember the unit number) level 2

thanks liz

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
topaz glam

Yes. Candidates can include their observations of children as evidence in their portfolios. They must make sure that the child is not identified. Refer to the child as 'child (A)' for example. They must also have signed permission from the parent to be able to observe their child.

I've allowed my candidates to also use photo evidence of displays they've created of children's work & occassionally of them leading/joining in with activities with children as evidence but again, you have to be extremely careful that children cannot be identified in the photos.

Another source of evidence is photocopies of risk assessment forms candidates have completed or an accident form etc they've completed (again, no children's names or personal details to be on the sample.)
We have a section in our candidates portfolios called work products.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Brandy is on a distinguished road

hows the training going markysgirl ? I am waiting to get started been waiting since September i have my candidates sorted, now waiting so i can get started, what does the A1 involve is it much work, I have just finished my level 4 ccld and now want to do my A1
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Default to Brandy

I shadowed an experienced assessor last week and im doing my first action and assessment plan on Tuesday with my candidate. Im really looking forward to it. like you, ive been waiting since last year. i just need to get my head round all the different types of paper work and the ways of marking evidence. let me know how you get on. we can exchange info
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM

cheers for that. its going to be a learning curve but looking forward to starting
Unread 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

much easier just to have a professional discussion on them and removes all risk of breaking confidentiality.
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
topaz glam

Some of P.C's about observing children should be observed (esspecially level 2). I agree, Professional discussion is a good way to cover the P.C's however showing work products is extra evidence & shows the ability of your candidates.
Our candidates also do the CACHE cert & one of the units they have to include observations of children anyway so this evidence cross references over to the NVQ so serves both at once!