Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Aly is on a distinguished road
General question Reflective accounts / Responces.

Hiya

My assessor has gone through some of my units that I have completed and there are gaps that she wants me to give respinces / reflective accounts to and I'm wondering if I'm making sense.

as an example.

Unit 301 I just handed in and there are a few adjustments needed but 1 of the gaps is 301.2 PC 5 SO I need to recognise communication difficulties and how to adapt etc, K3C172 is the importance of being sensitive to communication difficulties and how I would adapt.

So the question is as I have already written about it do I just write it as if I am dealing with it myself and just mention what I have already put in the knowledge?

Sorry I hope that doesn;t sound like waffle and someone can make sense of it :blush:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Hiya

My assessor has gone through some of my units that I have completed and there are gaps that she wants me to give respinces / reflective accounts to and I'm wondering if I'm making sense.

as an example.

Unit 301 I just handed in and there are a few adjustments needed but 1 of the gaps is 301.2 PC 5 SO I need to recognise communication difficulties and how to adapt etc, K3C172 is the importance of being sensitive to communication difficulties and how I would adapt.

So the question is as I have already written about it do I just write it as if I am dealing with it myself and just mention what I have already put in the knowledge?

Sorry I hope that doesn;t sound like waffle and someone can make sense of it :blush:
Hi,
A reflective account is something you are looking back and reflecting on, so your assessor may have said to you
" You have written about communications difficulties, but I need a ittle more detail, can you think back and write and say how you dealt with a situation such as that?"

You can then think back and try and remember when you have had a parent/carer in with a communication difficulty. It may be when they were looking around the setting and you did not speak the same language, they were visually impaired, deaf or they have a learning difficulty.

How did you or your supervisor deal with this? - you will have to write it in the first person, as if you did deal with it. It is your assignment, not whoever dealt with it, but it will show you know how to deal with things, how you managed - with time, gestures and body language (warm and welcoming) writing things down, attempting the language (if possible) and how you would follow it up - liaise with other professionals to get interpreter in; has visual/dual written cards etc, learn key words/phrases etc.

Sometimes even with people who speak our language it can get a little confusing, so you can write that you are always conscious of others cultures and possible language barriers and misunderstandings i.e. we may say 'pants' but Americans refer to their underwear as 'pants, to them they are their trousers; nappies are diapers and so on, but not so confusing as when you are changing a child out of wet 'pants' and they don't know what you are going on about!

Remember as well as writing about how you would deal with it, your setting always has policies and procedures for you to consult and you can write that is you come across something you don't know, you find out by using your colleagues/manager and other professionals if needed.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Aly is on a distinguished road

I'ma childminder so actually work on my own.
Ok I thought if it was something like a deaf child/parent I could write what i would do
or if a language barrier again deal with that...I can;t really think if there has ever been a occassion where ther has been a lack of communication so she did say rather than from experience I could write How I would deal with this sort of thing.

I guess I have answered my own question really then...lol