Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Assessor & tutor forum

Assessor & tutor forum Continuing professional development. This forum is openly available to all looking for help and information on the A1 - Assessor Award. Supporting CYPW CCLD NVQ candidates and others undertaking professional qualification.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 01-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

babe is on a distinguished road
observation help

has anyone got any suggestions plz? I need to carry out an observation to cover 305.3, 306.4 and 307.2. I am struggling on what to get the learner to do so that I can observe her and then question her at the end to cover remainding p.c's and knowledge!! Any help from learners who have been observed on these or from assessors who have good ideas and ways how to do this would be greatly appreciated!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Hannahlg

well i think if you are an asser you should know what things you need to obsave to cover those units. If you dont know what things to obsave your studants doing them units then you shouldnt be an asser
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:01 PM
topaz glam

Hannahlg, that's not completely fair. Everyone needs support or advice at some point in thier careers no matter who they are.
Babe may be training or be new to assessing level 3 for all we know!

I wouldn't necessarily aim to observe all point in all those 3 units at one time!
305.3 is child protection so a Professionall discussion would work well here. There is one p.c about helping children to be aware of protecting themselves which can be observed & linked with the other chosen units. I think we should all be supporting each other & not getting personal like that. Sorry Hannahlg.

Babe, when I've observed these elements & units the best one was when I observed my candidate supporting children's physical play during which she spoke to the children about how exercise can help you grow strong. Also talking to the children about the parts of the body they were using. She also done warm up & cool down activities with they children which included her giving instructions such as 'jump up' 'touch you head' touch your toes' etc. This helped children develop awareness of their bodies.

From physical play it was time to go in & have dinner. My candidate sat with the children & joined in conversations with children asking them if they were enjoying what they were eating, what their favourite veg & fruits were & asking if the children knew why the food they were eating was good for them.
My candidate was also very aware when serving out foods which children had specific requirements. There is also a list of these dietry requirements in the kitchen area for staff to reffer to.

Before the meal children washed their hands. After the meal hands were washed & teeth were brushed. My candidate supported children's independence in doing this. It was then nap time so nappies were changed & children who were being toilet trained were asked to use the toilet.

I really hope this is of some use to you but obviously it would depend on the age group your candidate works with.
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM

Feel as if i must answer you here! I am a new assessor - been doing it 2 months now and just started my A1 last week!! I am trying to start off with good practice suggestions and ideas so that i can be the best possible assessor for my learners!!!! I have a real passion for putting good quality future nursery nurses through their NVQ's, after all these people are going to be the ones who I leave my children with and I will not put people through just for the sake of it!!! I have worked in childcare for 16 years and I recently closed my own nursery where my staff were put through their paces and all of them now have senior management positions!!! So, forgive me if I want to make sure that my learners get the best and most enjoyable experience from their NVQ'S! I also thought this site was about sharing info and ideas, and I have put many posts in giving advice to learners who are struggling with what their assessors are looking for either through not being reliable or basically a lack of communication as to whats expected from them! Also, many thanks Topaz glam for your comments and advice!! These are everyday tasks aswell aren't they so should be okay with these obs! I agree whole heartedly about sharing info and helping each other out - this is an area I feel very passionate about so needed to air this in my reply.
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi,

I've moved this to the Assessors forum where candidates and anyone embarking on the A1 / 2 can help out.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
topaz glam

Very well said babe. I agree with you!

Yes, the suggestion I gave is very much part of everyday routine. I stayed for part of the morning section to see this & the nursery setting were very supportive.
I spoke to the candidate in advance of the observation (as I always do) so they were aware of the criteria I was going to be assessing. I do holistic assessments so I also observed communication & health & saftey/risk assessment criteria too.

I'd definately do 305.3 as a professional discussion with the candidate. If they are really nervous then q&a's.

Good luck with your A1. Hope you enjoy assessing.
Unread 01-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

This is a wonderful site for sharing information - and at all levels - which is what makes it so good. Sharing good practice is good for everone no matter what level/positition they hold.
I especially liked the way Babe asked for candidates to say how they liked to be assessed, by taking an interest in what learners find effective and are at ease with only demonstrate how seriously she takes the role of assessing.
Hope you enjoy your A1 course, and i wish you well in your new role.

xxx
Unread 03-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Brandy is on a distinguished road

Hi Babe ive just started my A1 too i have been in childcare 10 years and have just completed my level 4 about 6mths ago, I am an in house trainee assessor and so far have had a quick induction and have gone through the knowledge evidence with my assessor and im about halfway through that, i feel the same as you and want to do the best I can for my students, if we can exchange ideas etc when im a bit further on i would be happy to do so, good luck with your A1 you sound like you will be a brilliant assessor and one that cares.
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:51 PM

Hiya, and welcome! Thank you for your lovely comment - I certainly aspire to be a great asessor! The way things are at the moment, I think the world needs good child care practitioners to safeguard our little ones when we are not able to, like when they are at school etc! That would be brill to share ideas and advice, its always good to get another persons view on things isn't it - and just to moan too!!!!! Hopefully going to complete my A1 on the 9th April - thats when my IV things I will be done for anyway - can't wait, no more folders to be counter signed!!!!!! YIPPEE!!!!!
Anyway, chat soon xx
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:03 AM

butterflies is on a distinguished road
Default Hello

I am new to the NVQ and love this silkysteps website.

It's nice to see the assessors giving and asking for advice. I think we forget that we are all human and we are always still learning, even from our young children.

Shame I can't get the same view of Ofsted inspectors, I think they are usually 5 headed dragons :sorry:

Anyway I just wanted to say hello, and thanks for being here x x x