Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 08-18-2007, 11:35 AM
cinders

Agency work

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering, has anyone ever done any agency work for nurseries and schools? if you have what was it like? did you enjoy it? were there any aspects you didnt like?

I contacted an agency the other day about work as i havent found a job yet - thought it might be a useful way to get to know some schools in the area! Im a bit nervous about it though because i havent done it before and nor has anyone i know!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

I didn't do agency work as such ~ but what I did do was contact a local nursery direct. I did work for them (not for long)- but I had to fight to get £7.00 per hour.
For me the experience was horendus!!! ~~ but I wouldn't let that put you off ~~ in my case the setting was just soooooooo bad! A clue - 5 managers in just over a year, and 'I' as bank staff was the highest qualified!! It was however, theee most beautiful purpose built building you have ever set foot in -- at the moment it is in special mesures!!!!.
when I look back now it was really quite funny - like something out of a comedy sketch but at the time it was beyond a joke.
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:14 PM
cinders

lol o dear!!

Yeah, well i shouldnt have that problem because i want to do supply work in Shool settings! so fingers crossed! although i would do a LITTLE work in day care if i needed to.
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
strawberrykisses

i do work with an agency as a nanny which is quite good. you get to meet people one off and usually the little one is an angel lol

a lot of my friends do nursery work they get through agencies and they really enjoy it x