Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 07-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Leelee87 is on a distinguished road
Help SOS need any help guys!!! 206.5 CCLD NVQ2

Hi Everyone,

I am in a bit of a pickle at the moment. On monday, I will be setting up my display table of sensory equipment. this is to encourage the children to explore and investigate using their senses and also to introduce what a disability is to them. I have a wide variety of materials and resources. I am beginning the activity by reading a book to the group of 8 children, it is called 'don't call me special'. I plan to ask open ended questions to encourage communication. However, I need to cover all of the statements. So, I really need your help and any suggestions on 1) how I could link this activity to an outdoor activity as it will be taking place indoors, and my assessor is coming to observe me. 2) How can I use my display table to 'help children use ICT as part of exploration and investigation.'

I was thinking some cameras. magnifying glasses and mirrors. What do you think???
Thankyou for any speedy and helpful responses in advance.

Last edited by Leelee87 : 07-09-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: I forgot to add what materials I already have, so that the members will know how to help

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM

the equipment I currently have is -bubble wrap, foil, corrugated cardboard, pine cone, stones, shells, fluorescent fabrics (to help them understand that people who have difficulty to see need brighter colours to help them), incense sticks with different scents, scented and unscented candles. sandpaper.

I would also like to know if anyone has any ideas on how I could get the children to do some form of collage for the title of the book 'don't call me special'?

thanks guys.
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, the overiding message with a book of this title is the need to be treated equally. Not to be singled out even in a seemingly positive way by labelling disability as 'special - it is instead just part of daily life.

Your table resources sound great could you use a 'where did they come from' map to link it to outside? maybe have collection bowls with an image of the environment - woodland for the fir cones, beach for the shells, haberdashery shop for fabric & wax you could take along a beeswax theme or parafin: wax from wikipedia - if you want to extend the activity possibly place the bowls in locations for the children to travel to and deposit each item in - beach pot in the sand tray area, can you place a pot outdoors for trees? fabric shop in a home or role play area and wax/candle pot placed with an adult maybe that can help discussions introducing/reinforcing how care needs to be taken with flames.

Collage could be in an outline of the word 'me' - group or individual sheets?

Hope you enjoy it xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Thankyou so much for your speedy response, I have already begun making adjustments to my activity plan. I really appreciate your help. Sounds like a good idea and it's perfect those themes of the beach, woodland etc. The children will really enjoy this experience.

I love this forum x
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

you're very welcome, I quite like the forum too

I meant to add for ICT and the senses you are looking for a resource that:
  • Has a colour - from transparent to block colour - mouseover hex
  • Has the potential to make a smell or have a smell.
  • Can be tasted or be representational/symbolic of smell - these are resources ideal for extending to other focussed activities.
  • Is tactile - can be touched.
  • Makes a noise.
  • To look specifically at communicating information through technology look for buttons, switches, dials, triggers/digital/infrared/light, temperature or noise sensitive capabilities.
I see you on a screen with a mouse would be good or colour changing ducks - from amazon on a tray of water, the cameras you mention are great, cd player, radio or telephone could be used for other times.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

dont forget torches if you are able to get some. Can be shined on your various textile to see how the light reflects on them. I actually blindfolded some of my group ( with parental permission) then I let them play with sand and other textured toys. Then we talke about how that felt and if they still had fun?