Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

cheesey is on a distinguished road
activity ideas for older children?

Hiya.
I need some help. I have always worked in secondary schools but die to family commitments had had to move and there is only primary work available to me. I have an interview on monday and have to do a mark making activity with 6 year 1 children to assess the childs attainment and develop the next steps. Im totally new to this and seriously need some help and advice on what sort of activity i should do. All teh ones I have come up with are for fs1-2 stage.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesey View Post
Hiya.
I need some help. I have always worked in secondary schools but die to family commitments had had to move and there is only primary work available to me. I have an interview on monday and have to do a mark making activity with 6 year 1 children to assess the childs attainment and develop the next steps. Im totally new to this and seriously need some help and advice on what sort of activity i should do. All teh ones I have come up with are for fs1-2 stage.
Have a look at this article on mark making in key stage 1 and see if you can get any inspiration from it.

http://booktrustadmin.kentlyons.com/...ndationks1.pdf

I too, have not worked with year one children (5/6 years?) and am not sure what is expected of them indepth; although I would keep whatever I had in mind simple though, as any interview is nerve racking.

Children of this age are normally drawing some lovely pictures from their imagination, but are also that little bit older to observe and study something to draw or paint.

How about visiting a wood and collecting free resources such as ash keys, small fallen branch, a branch with remaining berries on i.e. rowan berries or rosehips?

You can then decide whether you'd like them to use to charcoal, oil pastels or water colours or construct with glue, tissue and felt tips to finish off their paper etc Whatever you decide try and have a few alternatives for the children to be creative and if you are to provide 'art items' for observational and mark making, ask them for their ideas and thoughts to get them involved in the project - if you are not actually working with the children, but just writing up the activity, you'll have to write it up hyperthetically.

For the attainment, observe and look out for physical skills - holding and controlling their painting/drawing/gluing implements etc, interpretation (creativity) of their idea/thought process and action etc - go through the curriculum, perhaps language as you speak to them, dispositions etc.

The next steps will be determined after you have worked and seen the children in action, get to know them and know how they like to learn and what interests them - ask them. If they enjoyed what you brought back from the wood, you could ask them what other objects they would like to look at, study and how would they like to create it. They might just plan the next mark making art lesson.

Hopefully someone on the forum works (or has worked) with year one and will reply and tell you what is expected.

Good luck with your interview.