Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 07-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

anitak is on a distinguished road
Default Help with 304 - please! reflective diary/journal

Hi there.

My assessor has handed me back my 304 reflective diary/journal with an incomplete..... this unit is driving me crazy as I really had thought I had covered the diary, gave lots of different pages in, esp trying to cover difficult to cover PC's. I wrote on each one what I felt, and if it was handled well or not. Apparently this is not correct?

I am so confused - maybe its a language problem as I cannot see what it is that is wanted???

She has told me it needs to be about my response to things - is that right/helpful? I have posed questions in the diary, but maybe I havent provided solutions???

gosh I dont why I am struggling so badly with this..... does anyone have an example of a single diary sheet that covers this well to give me an idea of just what I am doing wrong??? PLEASE help - this is my last unit and then I can try and get a job!!

Any ideas anyone???
THANK YOU!!
AnitaK

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

SomeoneSpecial is on a distinguished road

*hugs* just take a deep breath and look at it again.

im not doing and have not done the course you have, i did a different one. if you write the question or instructions down for the unit i may be able to help.

*hugs*
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Hi thanks for the offer.
There isnt a question on this one - its about reflecting on your own practise as tool for learning and development. I have had to write a journal noting incidents/events in the setting and then evaluate my p art in it - what went well, what went less well and how I can learn form it. I really thought I had covered it but dont seem to go deep enough for my assessor (??? ).

Am casting about for some strategic ideas/phrases that may be what she is looking for - as I think I have covered this......

oh well, can only try and seek inspiration, and see if anyone has any further ideas to offer me about where I am giong wrong!

Cheers and thanks
AnitaK
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:09 PM

uhm without giving names etc can you tell me one of the events/insedence you wrote about?

try thinking bout the diff areas of development and check youve coverd it for example... i think i managed this well but next time i will be more confident as i have learnt how to deal with this situation. -got your emotional there

the problem was he just wouldnt stop crying unless being picked up so we worked as a team to help him and to over come the situation-social and intelectual development there

also possibly talk bout parents staff the children policies procedures etc

reflecting is looking back and evaluating make sure you give both positives and negatives about each situation.

what did you learn about the child? what did you learn about future planning? what did you learn your good or bad at? etc

for example he was sick everywhere- i learned that he does not like beans so in the future i will not give him them but will make a note of food he does like. i was a little unsure of what to use to clean with which i now know is .... but i still helped the situation by getting the children ot of the way and keeping them calm

hope this helps
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks for your suggestions so far - making sense to me and maybe making it a bit clearer.

The first one she knocked back was an incident where a child had an accident and I helped and comforted her. I then wrote about how I put it in accident book, and informed my manager. I wrote aobut telling the mother and getting her to co-sign book.

I wrote that her mother was glad I cuddled her as she is young, and I was glad to help her through it, and that the correct procedure was followed. This was not enough apparently..... this is what is driving me nuts......

Another one I wrote was about how my manager intervened while I was being assessed and made me feel small, and that I was worried about how it made me lok and feel, and that I would take the issue up with her later... again, not enough (??)....

I must just be coming at this from the wrong angle..... any other angles anyone?
Anita
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM

did you write things like from this experiance i learnt.... this will help my practice in the future because....

for example

from this experiance i learnt that by comforting the child the child felt better but also by talking openly to the childs parent about what happened and telling the parent i did comfort the child, the parent felt reasurred. therefore i think my responce to the incident worked well. this also imforms my practice as in the future i will keep a honest and open aproch with each childs parent to develop a trusting relationship.

my guess would be youd need 6 "i have learnt/ this developed my skills..." and "in the future i wills" for each insident/event but i could be wrong bout that as i dont/didnt do your course.

hope this helps
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM

hi there.

Gosh 6 What i have learnts!!!! But if that is what it takes, then that is what I will do. Good idea. At this stage I will do ANYTHING to get me through this last straggly bit of this course. Its been a rocky 12 months, through it!!

Honestly I probably havent done enough of that, but more questioning how things went, and if protcol has been followed, and how I felt.

Okay am going back to the drawing board tonite everyone!

Thanks
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM

dont get rid of what you have done maybe just add to it
Unread 07-15-2008, 07:38 AM

Yes, I have learnt that even when I get it wrong they will let me hand it in - with amendments/updates!
THANKS AGAIN
A
Unread 07-15-2008, 07:45 AM

your welome