Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

jessicaw is on a distinguished road
Default 065 unit 2.1

Identify different sources you can use to plan for individual or groups of children, E.g. parents/carers, professionals, observations---- im loosing my marbles my assessor is out on monday and i have only this question to answer and everybody i have asked doesnt no what to say, so if anyone could give me some pointers or start me on the tracks i would be very gratefull

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, you've provided the majority of the answer yourself :) through inclusion, partnerships and sharing information you maybe ask parents/carers or guardians what's happening in their children's lives, maybe parents enjoy sharing their news and information with you. How you use observations that you make in the setting enables you to plan suitable experiences - this can be more formal through pre-arranged meetings or moment to moment as your setting's day progresses. Maybe you use colleagues professional knowledge to support and guide the plans you put in place. In what ways do children let you know what they're interested in and how do you use that information to plan for individuals and groups.

Example:
Monday morning the setting opens.
Children arrive and ask for the box of cars to be out on the floor. They push the small world ocean themed animals to one side. Taking note of this is an observation that evidences children's current interest. That morning a parent stops for a while to explain how their child has brought in a new toy lorry that they recieved from their grandparent at the weekend and how very excited the child is about it. The child enters the setting happily and sees the other children playing cars but remains some distance away choosing to play alone with the new lorry on a table top.

Working from your own professional experience maybe you ask if he'd like to join in with the group game, but he refuses - responding by shaking his head. You might reflect on his response and plan to act, or alternatively share your concern of him sitting isolated at the table with colleagues who agree and suggest ways that you can invite/include him in the other children's play. Maybe you ask him if he'd like someone to come over to him and help build a road on the top of the table - some of the group's track is unused or you can improvise with paper and crayons. If he refuses again would he like you to help.

If yes maybe you could enjoy road building together and share general observations about how well the other group activity is going and how you've noticed that he likes playing cars with the others, but not today?

Plan to recognise how important his new lorry is to him, how sharing it with the others might concern him - losing it, having it taken from him, it breaking. Plan for his needs to be met, would he like to share his excitement and tell the story of how he got his new lorry during the ongoing car activity or at snack time a little later.

Would he be interested in the safe toy zone, where the lorry can be left, untouched until he's finished playing with others and is ready to collect it. Discuss how 'cool the lorry is, what colour, number of wheels, what function or service it performs - carrying furniture or food?

In evaluation this daily event saw ..
Children expressing their interests
A parent shared their family news
Collagues provided support
Observations gave evidence for plans which were acted on to support a child's inclusion, participation and communication.

I hope this helps xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

jessicaw is on a distinguished road

thankyou so so much :) your a life saver