Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 08-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

twiggy321 is on a distinguished road
Smile books ideas for topic our friends

Firsly apologies is this is in the wrong area but i would be grateful if anyone could help my topic next month is our Friends, the children i work with our 2-3 yrs old with limited vocab.
i have just started working with them as a new job and ihave found that stories are a great incentive to get them thinking and discussing ideas without actually giving them the answers so to speak

i was wondering if anyone had used any good books on friends/friendship that they would like to share which i could use as a springboard for hopefully more discussion and ideas from the children

i am a great believer in child iniated activities and dont want it to be all my own ideas coming through

hope you guys can help me

many thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Default preschool book list friends theme - promoting postive relationships

Hi, depending on what you're hoping to cover these may help a little xx

Flip & Flop is a cute story of two penguin friends playing games and exploring where they live together.
Pudge's play has a group of animal friends playing together, overcoming fear, disappointment & promotes the positive in understanding, not judging each other when we dip out of something we weren't expecting.
Harry and the dinosaurs romp in the swamp is good, with less text than counterparts it sees Harry making friends with a girl called Charlie & together they find out how great it is to have two to play.
Bear's new friend, What's a penguin to think when he wakes up pink! explores diversity of friendship and a friend like you looks at tolerance, understanding & acceptance by Julia Hubery, Caroline Pedler & published by Little tiger press.

When we're together by Claire Freedman and Jane Chapman observes friendship within a family, it adapts nicely to a room full of everyone

Star friends is a gentle read for less confident children and Meggie moon addresses gender prejudice & friendship, as does the harry & dinosaurs romp in the swamp book above.

Just Like Us! Jess Stockham series.

Aaaarrgghh spider by Linda Monks has a spider looking for a family of friends to belong to, the wish cat and Laura's star are both about finding a friend in unexpected places.

The terrible troublesome troll is good for established children, comfortable in their environment. It explores bullying, promotes children's rights, friendship & safety in pairs. Betty and the Yeti is also a really nice read for friendships, it explores insecurity and understanding others.

Gently bentley looks at not being too rough, it's my turn & Sorry! by Tim Warnes both examine issues surrounding possible outcomes of being with friends/others.

Dig dig digging is a one of the less obvious titles that supports friendships, engages children's wider interest, bringing them together to examine preferences through discussion - 'what vehicle would you.. what vehicle would xx... what vehicle would you both/all like to drive?' along with 'I could be, you could be'

Wilbie finds a friend supports friendship in the community & helps to address 'stanger danger, staying safe and Kids examines what everyone enjoys doing in play.

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

twiggy321 is on a distinguished road
Default A big thankyou

Fantastic a big thankyou for your time and effort in composing a excellent set of book titles. i am sure that i will be able to use some of the titles mention

Thanks once again
maria