Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

hazel lol is on a distinguished road
306 k3h282: Appropriate hair and skin care considerations

Hi
New to this and feeling a little naive.
Don't want to disrespect anyone, but is there anyone who can give me info so that I can explain how to care for various skin and hair types, eg afro caribbean and asian hair and skin, taking into account cultural variations. I have some information but would appreciate more.
Thanks very much

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and a warm welcome ..

Some keywords you may find useful to search online with are: Cornrows, Braids, weaves, dreadlocks, Henna Mehndi design

Being sensitive to situations can involve an understanding that there may be previous or ongoing experiences and discrimination that may of had / be having a negative effect - working together to provide a culturally aware setting can mean making sure time is spent talking with parents, carers and extended family to help ensure any individual needs are brought from home into the Setting.

Look at the types of brushes and combs available for specific hair types and the sort of creams that are available to help with dryness, coarse, fine and damaged hair. How sand, soil and water play may aggrevate that and what precautions could be taken if everyone was in agreement - Protective wear such as caps, shower or fabric, creams and conditioners.

Some scalp and skin problems can include - Dry skin, Alopecia, eczema, Dandruff, Headlice, Ringworm or Tinea Capitis .. NB: possible warning on the link results , psoriasis , Sun burn.

Ensure that there is provision for sprays and mists, moisurisers, ointments and emollients to be brought in from home, that they are accounted for in risk assessments, stored in appropriate places and that wherever possible Parents have the opportunity to demonstrate how they can be used.

Care of Afro Hair - Care of Asian Hair - Blonde Hair from Wikipedia & taking care with swimming pool water, Chlorine/metals can turn Blonde hair green - shampoos that have a chelating agent in them can help reverse the effect, split ends, de tangling techniques.

An interesting, although general news item from the Guardian: Cost of Cutting Afro Hair you could also look into how you feel about hairstyles, highlighting / bleaching / colouring / perming / relaxing or straightening Children's hair / Braiding, extentions and how you would support Parents and Children in any positive and negative situations ...

This is an ecommerce site that lists some of the products available for afro hair: Afrobest.co.uk - Childrens products and a Sun policy should help show how your group approaches protection and skin care.

www.foundationz.co.uk/html/about.asp is nice as is the identity introduction statement from www.brownskin.net there is a great deal of information on darker skin care on there as well ..

Hope this helps and enjoy Silkysteps

xx

CCLD L3 Unit 306:
Plan and organise environments for children and families.
K3H282
Appropriate skin and hair care and the need for sensitivity to the diverse needs of children with a range of skin colours or types or texture of hair, being aware of the damage that can be done to children's skin by exposure to the sun, appropriate toiletries.
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM

306 k3h282

Thanks very much Ruthierhyme

You're a star.

I did various googles but most sites were trying to sell me something or not sure if the information I was getting related to children (ie relaxants, etc).

Your reply will certainly keep me busy this evening!!!

Once again.

Thanks.
Unread 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

You're welcome, it is a lot of information to gather but once you've found what you need use it to help pinpoint what the knowledge is asking to evidence - What is appropriate skin and hair care.

What issues may require staff to act with confidentiality and sensitivity - and on again to how that information helps plan and organise the environment.

The day to day activities of a group along with operational policies and procedures may help show what areas of skin & hair care might be more frequently questioned.. Swimming, water play - sprinklers, tray/bowls or watering cans, Hairdressing themes - access to scissors where a wish for shorter hair is expressed , Outdoor play - where, when and shelter. What information is available, what topics are covered and who might your local/national/international contact / key people be.

Face painting, tactile activities such as foam, glue and the cleaning up of .. face and hand wipes, towels - effects on skin conditions such as Eczema, Soap, dish washing, detergents & laundry. Any Salt water activities and the salt content in dough - how to counter any problems these actions may bring about - which products, if any to use and how to help minimise or protect against them.

Personal hygiene - nappy / toilet changing and facilities/products - Nappy rash & Prickly heat from NHS direct wales.nhs.uk

Headlice is something that a lot of us have views on / knowledge of .. and haircare - shampoo scent and routine. The 3 step combing technique is good for straight hair, tight curls and afro hair would be harder to manage as would varying length of hair. Having information on both/all for parents to read and help input towards can make things easier for everyone

With creams and conditioners, how does personal knowledge help give advice on - Suncreams for skin colour and head wear protection - Baseball caps, sun hats, scarfs, wraps or sun parasols... and how are parents invited to inform you of the care provided at home / away from the setting ..

Allergies and sensitivities - Products, hair care tools and accessories - bobbles, bands, clips .. does the product information or Condition require any action before or after being exposed to sun/heat or other eventualities and whose responsibility would/could this be .. if anyones.

These are many points & areas of provision that can be lead by Parents, Staff and Committee/management together, I'm not sure if they are too indepth for this specific knowledge evidence so please let us know what else you find out or what is recommended

A google search for Relaxing Children's hair - it's an emotive subject ..

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:06 AM

Smile

Thanks very much for the extra info.

Have incorporated what I think is needed. Seeing assessor in about a month or so's time - hopefully I have cracked the extra information she needed.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Just thought I'd update on this one.

All the information I received has now enabled me to finished by Child Development Assignment - so thanks very much. Assessor was pleased with all the information I was able to put in.

Thanks again.

Unread 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM
forest

a good book about afro hair for children - I LOVE MY HAIR
Unread 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

nicolae is on a distinguished road

hi, iv ejust doen this question, im unsure of if its right or wrong but iv found this website a big help with this question;
http://www.celebratingculturaldivers...r_children.htm
Unread 05-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

anna marie is on a distinguished road

hi i'm new to this forum :-) was wandering if any one knows about the care of skin for children who are afro caribbean, doing NVQ 2 looked on some sites but they're all trying to sell me skin care products.