Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

MumOfGorgeousBoysx is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Unit 301, Activity 4, Task 3, K3d161

Hi there, ok im struggling with how to word Activity 4: settling in children, task 3 case studies (there are 6 scenarios) its K3D 161, have to write an answer for all 6 and am struggling as to how to begin, only need to do this one then ive completed 301. Any help with this would be wonderful, and i thank you in advance from the bottom of my heart :blush:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

MumOfGorgeousBoysx is on a distinguished road

Anyone ??? Just need to know wether i should write these individually for the different scenarios or whether i should write all of them on how i would settle any child??? There are different scenarios from disabled to culture etc.........can anyone help me please?
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

shaz03 is on a distinguished road

hiya not up to this question yet but i would write them all on how tou would settle each child that way you are covering eveything
Sxx
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

busybee is on a distinguished road

Hi, i saw ur other thread about not replying i nearly finished my level 4 and there is a lot of threads on here that iv posted that not been responded too so dont take it personally.
As for ur specific question not familiar with the task but with regards to settling in a child i would consider points such as : finding out likes dislikes, friendships, what the child likes to play with , ensure sense of belonging with labelled peg and drawer, encourage them to bring a familiar item from home with them stickers for leaving parent/carer,ensure settling period to reassure child parent will return making them familiar with setting toilets etc and inclusion hope im on the right track to what u need.
Whats also very important is the key person and child relationship and forming an attachment so the child is happy to stay.

Last edited by busybee : 05-06-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: adding more info
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumOfGorgeousBoysx View Post
Hi there, ok im struggling with how to word Activity 4: settling in children, task 3 case studies (there are 6 scenarios) its K3D 161, have to write an answer for all 6 and am struggling as to how to begin, only need to do this one then ive completed 301. Any help with this would be wonderful, and i thank you in advance from the bottom of my heart :blush:
How about writing how you and your setting settle in children.
Do you encourage the child to visit and spend time at the setting before they start?
Do you give a parent/carer an option to stay for all or part of a session?
Do you undertake a home visit?
Do you assign a key worker/person to a new child?
Do you encourage/suggest they bring something familar (and loved) such as a cuddly toy?
Are parents/carers given information or profile sheets to fill in , where they can list what their child likes to play with or stories they like to hear?
What do you do to settle in a new child?
Do you play with them? cuddle them? read them a story? Reassure them? Keep them busy?
Do you suggest that a parent/carer comes back for them a little earlier?
If so, do you have a room for the parent/carer to wait in? - just in case the child is immersed in play and they do not need to be collected early.

Tell the parent (if they have to or want to leave) that they can put their own mind at rest by ringing the setting any time.
Most children are normally playing happily within five minutes, so take digital photographs of them to show the parent when they come back.

Write about attachment theory and how it affects children differently.
All the above is how you help a child to settle in, how they will bond with you.
If a child chooses a particular person, let them stay with that person, don't send that person off to do snacks or something else, so that child may become distressed.

Lots of patience, love, support from colleagues and good positive behaviour all around to help a child and soon they are 'skipping' in.
It's always easier if you can put yourself in a situation - stay starting a new job or joining a club - how do you feel? what would you ike of others around you? now imagine you are 3 or 4 and dependent of others.

Last edited by Heidi : 05-06-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: missing word