Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 06-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

caroline-28 is on a distinguished road
Default assignment 402 observation and assessment

hi everyone, i'm looking for some guidance on this assignment.

I have been observing a child at work and collecting observations with various techniques. I have chosen to do Tracking, narrative, time sample and snapshot. i now need to record my findings of each observation in a professional manner.

I'm not great with words so i haven't got a clue where to start.

i need to explain the chosen observation, which physical, ethical and legal factors have been taken into account, the relevant information from other sources that have been used.

Any help would be great

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, the background information this collects enables you to see the reasons underpinning your practice.

For example, the tracking observation was used because ...?
maybe you were interested to see how a child uses the playroom, which areas were visited, for how long, who the child interacted with A for adult/C for child?

Physical, ethical and legal factors include:

Data protection
Confidentiality and the storage arrangements for records
Objectivity and being aware of what 'observer bias' is page 374 of the handbook
Individual's right to respect and dignity eg. personal hygiene, toileting

Using observations for coursework

quote from page 376
  • Delete the date of birth of the child and instead use their age in years and months.
  • Remove any photographs of the child.
  • Delete or substitute the name of the child.
  • Remove any text that may identify the child (eg. name of a medical condition, language spoken at home)
Other sources might be professional books you used to research observations and assessments, colleagues advice, the early years framework your setting works with.

Hth
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-19-2016, 11:06 AM

caroline-28 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Ruthierhyme
Unread 11-02-2017, 12:44 PM

amlcak is on a distinguished road

Can anyone else help me with this im still stuck :(
Unread 11-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Hi, which part are you stuck on?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-05-2017, 02:44 PM

it says,
Reflect on the child observations undertaken and the ssessment methods used, explaining how these are used to inform the following;
your own practice
service provision
the interest of the child
the needs of the child and the next steps
im suck on how does a checklist,narrative,time sample observations informs my own practice and service provision. I dunno if im over thinking this :(
Unread 11-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Administrator

so, how are going to use the information that you gathered from the observations?

Will you plan activities? Will that involve you taking part in them? If yes to either of these the observation has informed your practice.

Will you let anyone else in the setting about the information you collected from the observations? Service provision is about the way in which the setting (childcare in this instance?) provides and does things. So as one example, if you discovered a child was having to wait so long for a pair of scissors to become available that they lost interest in the activity, would you raise this at a meeting or with a supervisor/manager so that they could consider purchasing more?

Hope this helps a little
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM

can someone help me again im being really dumb and ive just hit a brick wall, it says i need to analyse the differentobservation's and asssessment methods, i cant think of what assessment methods are :(
Unread 11-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Hi assessment means the different ways you, your colleagues and external organisations check on children's learning and development.

Page 265 of the EYE handbook is good reading, it looks at how the observations you've listed are method of assessment because they gather information to enable practitioners to make a determinations or judgements about how a child's learning and development is going ie. they inform your practice by telling you what a child is doing well, what they find interesting, if there are any concerns.

Page 267 then looks at what checklists mean, simple note taking, free description, event sample and informal observations.

What observations do you do in the setting? Are they any good at telling you how a child is doing, would you be able to say how many other children/adults an individual child likes being around/ what activities and areas of the setting they find interesting eg. sand tray/jigsaws/ cars/ and they language that's being used?

The EYFS 2017 also looks at assessment and what your setting is expected to do page 13+

Hope this helps a little more xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

ApprenticeR is on a distinguished road
SOS Task B..

Hey guys, i'm stuck on the following question. I understand it and everything just don't know how to write it out, if this makes sense.

EVALUATE HOW OBSERVATION AND ASSESSMENT CAN BE USED TO MONITOR CHILDREN IN THE EARLY YEARS SECTOR
Understand child’s current development level
Assess interactions (adult/child; adult/child/child)
Assess specific events
Identify and support additional needs
Identify and support skills
Identify and support likes/dislikes

Thank you inadvance