Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 12-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

sez is on a distinguished road
Default Are you required to be qualified if your a manager?

I am after some advice for a good friend of mine who works in a nursery,

Last year the chairperson stepped down as chair and then started working in the nursery as admin manager as a trial, the job was advertised and interviews conducted and even though a better qualified person applied for the job the was given the the person who trailed it, (funny that).
After a few months all staff were given new titles and the admin manager became the business manager who was to work alongside the childcare manager who has nvq 4, it has since become a problem that the childcare manager has to report everything to the business manager, so basicly the business manager is overall manager.
My friend wants to know can somebody who is not qualified in childcare at all be overall manager??

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

this is something you need to ask ofsted about owners or administrators dont have to be qualified as long as the designated manager is BUT they do interpret this different depending on their inspection. it is the committee that needs to be careful giving all the power to one person is very dangerous if you are in the PSLA i would ask their advice
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:41 PM

thank you ,

from what i gather the business manager and new chairperson are very good friends, the business manager has been interviewed with ofsted as somebody who has nothing to do with the children, so even tho the childcare manager has nvq 4 she still has to get the ok from the business manager on all decisions.

It sounds to me as if the chairperson and business manager are using the childcare manager for her qualifications but they are in total control of the nursery.

Can anybody contact ofsted with these concerns without getting me friend the sack??
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:02 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

yes absolutely you should have a whistleblowers policy which will protect you but you can ring ofsted in total confidence
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Brilliant thank you for your advice, i will let my friend know this info