Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 05-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Mwalder60 is on a distinguished road
SOS Help! CPD Discussion needed for my course

Hi, I need some help from you wonderful people. I am on my last unit of my CACHE Level 3 Early Years Educator course and as part of my CPD unit I need to have a discussion on the importance of reflection and theoretical perspectives of CPD. The question reads;

"To summarise theoretical perspectives on reflection in relation to professional development, join in an online forum with your peers to discuss the importance of reflection in relation to professional development. Undertake your own research and use the forum to share theoretical perspectives on reflection. "

I'm looking at Kolb's learning cycle and Gibbs reflective cycle but any information that we could discuss would be great.

So if any of you guys have any examples of how important reflection is to you as early years practitioners it would be great to hear. For me I think there is always so many 'I could have done that better' and I very rarely look at what I did well. Does anyone else find that?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Mwalder60 is on a distinguished road

Come on guys this is my last module....please! Just a discussion on the importance of reflection.
Unread 06-25-2018, 12:25 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

GHC421sat12 is on a distinguished road

Hi did you manage to get this done? I am on my last unit also and need to have this discussion too ��
Unread 12-21-2018, 07:26 PM

Sazzagibbs... is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC421sat12 View Post
Hi did you manage to get this done? I am on my last unit also and need to have this discussion too ��
To summarise theoretical perspectives on reflection in relation to professional development, join in an online forum with your peers to discuss the importance of reflection in relation to professional development?

Hey all I’m new to this but I’m on my last unit of the early years level 3 editors course I need to have a discussion bout the above subject.. is there anyone else who needs to do this. Thank you ��
Unread 12-21-2018, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, there's an ongoing thread here that you might find useful - https://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21322

Welcome to the site :)
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM

cpagano is on a distinguished road

Most theories on reflection are based on cyclical models which encourage the process of ongoing reflection, these theorists are Kolb, Gibbs, Schon, and Johns.
Kolb's experiential l learning cycle ( 1984) involve the acquisition of abstract concepts that can be applied in different situations. Kolb's theory believed that the motivation for the new development concepts is provided by new experiences.
Kolb's experiential learning style theory is represented by four stages of learning cycle:
- Concrete experience: immerse yourself in the experience, What Happened? ( feeling)
-Reflective observation: what did you notice about the experience? What did it make you think about?
-Abstract Conceptualisation: How might you change things?
-Active Experimentation: Try out new ideas.
Effective learning is seen when a person progresses through a cycle of all four stages, resulting in new experiences.

Gibb's Cycle of Reflection (1988)
Gibb's model was developed from David Kolb's 4 stage experiential learning cycle. Kolb's model is referred to as an experiential learning model which relates to learning through experience, Gibb's model is referred to as an iterative model which relates to learning through repetition.
In theory, the reflective process follow 6 steps of the model, the aims of using Gibb's reflective cycle are:
-Challenge your assumptions
-Explore new ideas or different ways of doing or thinking about things
-Promote self-improvement by identifying your own strengths and weaknesses and taking action to address them
-Link theory and practice by combining doing with thinking.

Schon's process of continuous learning (1995) :
Schon's suggested that the capacity to reflect in order to engage in a process of continuous learning is one of the defining characteristics of professional practice.
He described two distinct processes of reflection:
1.Reflecting-in-action: thinking ''as you go''about what your are doing, how well you are performing and how successful you are with different tasks
2.Reflecting-on-action: thinking ''after the event'' when you have completed a task you can consider afterwards what worked well, or how things could have been managed differently.
He believed of the concept of improvisation and incorporating life experiences in the process of learning.

John's five stage model (2000) is based on five stages that enable us to break down our experience and reflect on the process and outcomes, the stages are:
1. Description of the experience: what were the significant factors?
2.Reflection: what was I am trying to achieve, and what was the consequences?
3.Influencing factors: what factors affected my decision making?
4.Could I have dealt with it better? what other choices did I have?
5.What will change because of this experience? How has this experience changed my knowledge and personal awareness?

These models examine the process of reflection in different ways however they are all based on the same basic principles:
1. Begin with the concrete experience, ''describe what happened''
2. Review the experience by reflecting on ''what went well''? and what did not go so well?
( identify strengths and areas of improvement)
3. Analyse what has been learnt from the experience,''what could be improved or changed''?
4. Implement a new plan to try out the different strategy or approach.
Unread 02-28-2021, 08:57 PM

SETBBEARLYYEARS is on a distinguished road
Default the importance of reflection in relation to professional development

I'm currently studying for a CACHE Level 3 childcare course (Diploma for Early Years Workforce ) and as part of that would welcome discussions on theoretical perspectives in relation to professional development so that I can answer my question and gain more knowledge and insight from others who are experienced in the field or have an interest in the subject.

From my research I acknowledge how important reflective practise is to an early years practitioner as it allows the on-going evaluation and improvement of my own working practise as well as that of my colleagues in my work place and the environment we work which will lead to improved outcomes for the children in my care , a better working environment and will extend my own professional development so any help given would be much appreciated.

I have looked at the following theories of reflection but would love to hear if anyone could suggest any others that would be relevant to this subject or can add to anything I've researched below ?

Kolb Experiential Learning Cycle (1984)

Kolb looked at the incentive for the development of new abstract ideas being provided by new experiences and stated there was a four stage cycle of learning ie -

Stage 1 - Concrete Experience
This is where a learner encounters a new situation or experience or can reinterpret an existing experience
Stage 2 - Reflective Observation of the New Experience
This is the stage after the concrete experience has been had and is how the learner reflects on that experience. This would include thinking about the situation ie how it went, what went well and what didn’t go well.
Stage 3 - Abstract Conceptualization
At this stage the learner looks at what they have learnt from the experience ie how they can change and /or improve the experience
Stage 4 - Active Experimentation
This is where new ideas and changes can be put into practice so that the learner will see if they work in reality

This cyclical process then starts again ie working through the 4 stages and Kolb stated that although it is possible to enter the cycle at any stage for effective learning to take place a learner must execute all 4 stages of the model .

Gibbs Cycle of Reflection (1988)

Gibbs model was developed from Kolb's earlier model however while Kolb was seen as learning through experience Gibb was seen as learning through repetition. Gibb presented a 6 step cycle ie

Stage 1. Description - Looking at the experience in detail and asking questions ie where , why , when did the situation happen , who was there , what happened , etc
Stage 2. Feelings - Looking at how you felt during the situation and whether these feelings had an impact.
Stage 3. Evaluation - At this stage you take an objective look at the experience , evaluate what has happened and think about what approaches worked and which didn't
Stage 4. Analysis - This stage analyses the situation ie what sense can you make of it
Stage 5. Conclusion - At this stage everything is drawn to a conclusion ie thinking about what has been learnt and how things could be done differently next time.
Stage 6. Action plan - planning what would happen next time

Schon's process of continuous learning (1995)

Schon looked at two distinct processes of reflection - Reflecting - in - action ie thinking as you go and Reflecting-on-action ie thinking after the event . Schon spoke about continually improving practise through incorporating life experiences into the process of learning and so constantly reflecting on work.

John's five stage model (2000)

John's looked at 5 stages in his model so that the experience could be broken down and reflect on the process , its outcomes and from there explore and improve practise . The 5 stages are -

1. Describe the experience
2. Reflect on the experience
3. Identify the influencing factors
4. Identify how the experience could have been dealt with and what choices were available
5. How will this experience change things going forward ie my knowledge , etc

These theories would all benefit professional development as all based on reflecting and learning from experiences and follow the EYFS guidelines which state how important reflective practise is .

In conclusion I can see how these would relate in my daily life and therefore understand that reflection is an important part of professional development so that we are aware of our strengths and development areas allowing us to plan for the future , seek out support if necessary and improve our practise.

I welcome your own views.