Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:19 PM
kellz

Default newbie need help 305 make staff handbook

hello to all i have never done any chilcare course before and now i have been put on nvq 3 omg i have been given a task of making a staff handbook and am very unsure of what to do sorry to sound so dumb can anyone point me in the right direction
please

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

We haven't actually got a staff hand book, but i suppose it could be the sort of thing you could use when giving new staff an induction into your setting

E.g Where everything can be found such as toilets, first Aid, Fire Drills, exits etc
Staff that work in the setting and what their roles are.
How the setting is managed.
Policies and Procedures
operating hours
All this information would be useful to a new member of staff and a handy reference for them to keep.
Unread 08-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Brandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfllutterby View Post
We haven't actually got a staff hand book, but i suppose it could be the sort of thing you could use when giving new staff an induction into your setting

E.g Where everything can be found such as toilets, first Aid, Fire Drills, exits etc
Staff that work in the setting and what their roles are.
How the setting is managed.
Policies and Procedures
operating hours
All this information would be useful to a new member of staff and a handy reference for them to keep.
we have one it has the following in it
introduction
general statement on the group
mission statement
statement and conditions of employment/grievance procedures
probational period
dignity at work
dress code
employee responsibilities
use of mobile phones
visitors and statements to the media
playgroup property
pay details eg payroll date how paid etc
solicitations and gifts
travel expenses
absence
lateness
holidays, sick leave, special leave, maternity leave, adoption leave, paternity leave, parental leave, home working, education and training, appraisals and supervision, capability of work performance, use of computer, data protection act regarding personal information, equality and diversity for disabled workers, working time regulations, retirement, staff induction, staff roles and names, health and safety policy, fire drill, medical emergency procedure, manual handling, safeguarding children policy, procedures if member of staff or volunteers is accused of abuse, confidentiality policy, no smoking policy, alchol and substances mis use, food hygiene induction, whistle blowing policy, staff employment policy, recruitment procedure, behaviour policy, equal opportunities for staff policy, list of all policies and where they can be found.
Basically it has everything a staff member might need to know regarding employment and what is expected of them.
it seems a lot but once its done it just needs updating each year.
Unread 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

Hi Brandy

You have included a lot of detail, some things i wouldn't have thought of. Perhaps i've got another project on my hands. I'd be really interested to see what you have written regarding mobile phones, smoking alcohol and substance misuse. Most of the other stuff is covered in a detailed staff induction.
Unread 08-13-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfllutterby View Post
Hi Brandy

You have included a lot of detail, some things i wouldn't have thought of. Perhaps i've got another project on my hands. I'd be really interested to see what you have written regarding mobile phones, smoking alcohol and substance misuse. Most of the other stuff is covered in a detailed staff induction.
have sent you a pm
Unread 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
kellz

thank you ladies that is wonderful
Unread 08-13-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellz View Post
thank you ladies that is wonderful
glad to help