Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Bex01 is on a distinguished road
Default New to keyworker position, feeling overwelmed

Hi everyone,
The last time I visited this forum I was studying for my level 3 cypw, which I passed with loads of help from here, thanks again.
Now I have got my dream job and I'm on here looking for advise / support from you people again.
So I began at my setting a year ago with 2 keychidren, this was increased to 5 then 8 shortly after Christmas and now, this term, I have 10 keychildren.
My question is this, how do you all keep a track of all your children, make sure they are individualy reaching their goals, keep their learning journals, even make time to interact with them all etc. Even though the most I have on any one day is 6, I'm feeling so out of my depth. Any pointers, tips you use would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Amanda_97 is on a distinguished road

Hi! I totally understand your position, I was very overwhelmed by the whole keyworker situation as well! I have 9 and like you, I'm lucky if I see them a few times a week.

I found that by knowing when the children come in, I felt prepared and I control. The best and easiest way to go about observing them is just that, watching them! Categorise their learning into the following catergories, messy play, floor play, table play, role play and outdoor play. Then note down the different things they do in each category. For example, if you have a four piece puzzle out that they can't quite do yet but are close to managing, note down that they can't do it and their goal is to be able to confidently complete a puzzle by a certain date (I often say by the end of the next week or month)

Pictures help a great deal and often can cover a lot of ther development. Speaking to the children about how they feel on certain aspects of nursery life can be written down too. Anything you find interesting, the parents will too!

I suggest if you are struggling, ask some of your other colleagues how they find time to do theirs. In a nursery, everyone has to work as a team and they will be more than willing to help.

Hope this helped!! Amanda ��
Unread 02-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Bex01 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Amanda, I will have a go at your ideas.