Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road
Default do i stay or go ?

Hi all need your help and advice ,only started my job as leader eight weeks ago but feel it is alot of work for the money.i have so much to do at home that i don't have much time for family life our nursery is a pack away nursery and all the other paper work is done at home,but i seem to be doing twice as much at home and only get paid for half.my question is what is the normal wage for a leader,and should i stick it out for a year or so just to get the experience or do i move on .i know that really i can only answer these questions but don't know whats a good wage for all this responsbility.sorry to sound like im whining but need some advice :weepy:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Hi...

Heres a fact for you:

Whilst working with children and young people can be one of the most influential, rewarding and worthwhile careers it is also one of the worst paid.

Yes we know we are doing a worth while job that often involves long hours and quite low pay that can also be quite exhausting, but we do it because we believe in helping children.

Early years education is a vocation, and as such people should only consider working in this environment if they actually want to make a positive difference to young children.

It's a wonderful job, I love it. However it can be hard to achieve a good work/life balance.

You are never really 'off duty' especially if you live in the community where you are working. It's not a job, it's a vocation.

I think perhaps you need to think about the children and families you are working with, if you are not fully movtivated to want what is best for these children you really are in the wrong profession.

You have to be committed and dedicated to working with children. You should want to make a difference in their lives and help them to become life long learners and to cope with the world in which they have been brought into.

xXx
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, 2mths could be about right for getting your head around a new system, although I'm not sure about current wage levels for leaders, are you able to ask about delegating some of the paperwork to other members or maybe changing things a bit to lessen the workload ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM

our setting has gone through four leaders in three years because the work load is so much,i agreed to take it on as they could not get anyone else.i feel that i cannot give work to the assistants as they are only on min wage.the assisstants at the moment do no planning just observations.
i have started level 4 as well so i may have taken on too much,i am committed and dedicated but feel i could cry at the moment.
Unread 05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

why not suspend your nvq for a while till you get to gips with your new role. 6 to 8 weeks is usually crisis point in a new job if you can get past it you will be fine BUT you need to log and note all the overtime then go to your manager and show them the extra hours needed and ask for recompense. then if they say no reconsider. i have a manager who has just demoted herself as she hated it and no one thinks the worse of her in fact everyone is impressed with her ability to recognise and deal with it. negotiate wages or non contact time. if you have the proof the manager/committee can then seek funding for it
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM

Kathie is on a distinguished road

I have a similar situation work sessional only, I love my job and yes the work you do at home is more or less in your own time but DEDICATION is my key word. I read about committe applying for funding where can you find out about this as i know quite a few people in a similar situation. Another suggestion would be to see if another member of staff could come in so an admin morning could be had
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

but DEDICATION is my key word

my key word is "get home and have family life" tho thats more than one word! you can be dedicated without working at home in fact i respect those with a good home life balance much more than those who over compensate.
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
I have a similar situation work sessional only, I love my job and yes the work you do at home is more or less in your own time but DEDICATION is my key word. I read about committe applying for funding where can you find out about this as i know quite a few people in a similar situation. Another suggestion would be to see if another member of staff could come in so an admin morning could be had
Why do people think im not dedicated i dont mind doing the work at home,but if i do a job i like to do it right so im finding that i have to give up weekends to do development records phone calls planning etc plus my level four shouldnt i be down the beach with my kids!!! there is no one to do admin the school cant afford it.
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry if you feel I was suggesting you were not dedicated....I think I have mis-understood your situation.
xXx
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Is it possible the planning could be eased up a little - maybe with the introduction of posters on areas of continuous provision: What learning the Children are able to access through the availability of your resources, this could be done by 'area, zone or individual resource eg: sand - water - dough - role play: small figures - dressing up - music - craft - mark making - cookery - food - number - games, games in general, Games and rules or maybe more specific such as jigsaw box/ lotto - construction - being outdoors - large, open space play - planned activity ..

With time on your side these can then also build to include all the outcomes & requirements from thee framework who must be thought of and considered very slowly and carefully before being / not being named lol .. the cards could also adapt to how you develop as a group ..

Have you chatted with other colleagues & your ey's advisor to see about keyperson responsibilities and other ways of doing the paperwork ?

Big hugs for everything
xx
the cost of ad blockers