Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Planning activities themes and topics for preschool early years > Books and storytelling

Books and storytelling Book themed activity ideas, reviews and suggestions to support young children's love and enjoyment of text and pictures that tell stories

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-07-2006, 11:08 PM
cinders

Default Which is your favourite book?

hello everyone!!!

I LOVE books and reading to children!!! I just thought it would be fun to hear about other peoples favourites!! What was your favourite book as a child and which one is your favourite to read to the children now?

When I was a child I loved so many!! but my favourite had to be Georges Marvelous Mediceine!! lol Mr Dahl is a genious! I loves reading about George going to the shed and mixing up that concoction! What a delight!! I always dreamed about what I would mix up in my own, who I would give it to and what it would do! But that my friends is a story for another time!! :rotfl:

Now.....O my there are soooooo many! erm....... erm......which one to choose? lol

lol ok at the moment it would have to be......Dirtie Bertie!!!! lol David Roberts has made it possible for us all to have a god old giggle at all those rude and disgusting things children SHOULDNT but DO do!!!!! and the children LOVE calling out the refrain.... " NO BERTIE THAT'S DIRTY BERTIE!" lol and... I have to say that I bought a copy of the sequel....but felt it was maybe going a little far for nursery! lol I didnt think many parents would appreciate their children going home and talking about bottom burps and poots! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anyway.... get thinking - which ones do you love?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
LOL ... my childhood Author had to be Enid Blyton .. especially the 'Magic wishing chair' set:- Moonface, Silky, Saucepan man .....

Nowadays, I adore the Illustrations of Mick Inkpen, Stephen Cartwright, Nick Butterworth to name a couple.

To read to my 5 'nearly 6' yr old though .. as he chooses his own - I get the delights of trying to make head N tail of Pokemon, Teenage Turtles, and Sponge Bob magazines (has ANYONE actually managed to read a sponge bob strip successfully :muted: :muted: grrrr ) Still - I love the time together for a bedtime story !!
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-08-2006, 11:53 PM
cinders

lol im glad I dont have to TRY and read a sponge bob cartoon!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

were moonface, silky and sausepan man also the characters from the magic faraway tree?? Was that Enid Blyton?? they sound familiar - I think I may have read about them there!! lol that book took me forever to read I remember that much!

Awww I took my almost neice to Borders today.... we must have spent at least an hour and a half in there!! lol It was fantastic!! I LOVE what Nick Sharatt has done with the traditional tales!! Might just have to add them to my collection!! (sorry dad more childrens books in the loft!)
Unread 04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
:blush: Anj ..you're right !!! The Magic Faraway tree was the Favourite ... with The wishing Chair coming in at 2nd lol... must be the 'visiting strange lands confusion' Will have to dig the books out and refresh my memory !

and it is great to spend time wandering the bookshelf aisles, constantly reminding yourself NOT to buy more lol .
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

bountyangel is on a distinguished road

I would have to say that i enjoyed reading Julia Donaldson. The Gruffalo, The Smartest giant in town, Monkey puzzle, Gruffalos Child and the Gruffalo Songbook as they are for all different reasons too.
Unread 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

I loved the Wide Range Reader books!!!! Wonder of you can get them on Amazon????