Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 10-05-2021, 09:50 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Hayley Sharpe is on a distinguished road
Default Last Module Help Please

Hi all,

At last I've reached my final unit, what a challenge it’s been.
I know that we are all so busy but I would really appreciate some help in completing my last question, as shown below:

‘To summarise theoretical perspectives on reflection in relation to professional development, join in an online forum with your peers to discuss the importance of reflection in relation to professional development’.

I personally believe that reflection is an important part of working within an early years setting to ensure that we are continuously undertaking best practice. As a practitioner myself within an early years setting, we have a responsibility to continually review what we do, not only to maintain best practice but also to enable us to identify any improvements to enhance the quality of the setting.

I have researched different theoretical perspectives including David Kolb who is an American educational theorist. He believed Learning is the process whereby knowledge is created through the transformation of experience. Kolb is best known for the development of the Experimental Learning Model. He believed by having a key knowledge of diverse concepts, these can be interpreted to match a series of different situations.

I really like his theory as it is how I personally like to reflect.
Just wondered what your thoughts are and would appreciate you input/support.

Thank you in advance,
Hayley

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-07-2021, 03:33 PM

K Parr is on a distinguished road

Whilst I understand that Kolb is your preferred theorist, Donald Schon’s ‘single and double loop’ theory is definitely worth considering.
His concept was in two parts ‘Reflection in action and Reflection on action’.
For me this outlines my everyday experiences where ‘in action’ is about thinking on your feet, considering what to do next time and taking action now, with ‘on action’ being thinking about what has happened, what would you do differently and taking time to reflect.

Both are reflective theories but Schon works for me.

Thanks, K
Unread 10-09-2021, 05:52 PM

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my post.

I find your view interesting and can see the benefits in relation to 'Schon's' theory. Whilst researching reflective theorists I did consider Donald Schon's concept and also agree that there are times as a practitioner, we need to 'reflect on action' to prevent the same issue or problem from recurring.

I also came across Graham Gibbs, 'Reflective Cycle' theory, which detailed a process where by we learn from experiences. Where the same experience continues to happen his approach was that we should learn from what went well and what didn't go so well, allowing us to plan for future occurrences.

Taking these theories into consideration, my own preference is still David Kolb's development of 'Experimental Learning Model'.

Did you also look at any other reflective theorists?.
If so, I would welcome your views on what you found.

Look forward to your response
Hayley
Unread 10-11-2021, 03:58 PM

K Parr is on a distinguished road

I also looked at Graham Gibbs and John Dewey.

Dewey believed that reflection is a measured and active process, where you think in order to learn. Where things happen and we struggle to understand why, his theory suggests that reflection is remembering what happened, ask questions to work out why it happened and then to work out what you could have changed to give a different result.

I think that all the theorists believed in the importance of reflection that there are some similarities on how you should reflect.

I have the same module to complete later this year and would welcome having some further discussion then.

Thanks, Karen
Unread 10-14-2021, 07:55 PM

Hi,

I also looked at John Dewey's theory and thought he made an interesting point.

As a practitioner, I personally believe that we should ask questions to establish why something has happened. This helps reflect on what we could have done differently and support us with continuous professional development.

Thank you for sharing your views and thoughts and I wish you well with the rest of your course.

Regards
Hayley